Become your best self with a community of real women around the world who have your back.

HowToAdvanceYourCareer:AdvicefromaMulti-EmmyAwardWinner

Jessica Lipps
Jessica Lipps Mogul Influencer
over 2 years New York, NY, United States Story
How To Advance Your Career: Advice from a Multi-Emmy Award Winner

For those who have been following my Mogul posts, I recently launched an interview series called Lipps On Life (http://www.LippsOnLife.com), which features conversations with extraordinary people who are living their dreams.

One of my favorite parts of each interview is hearing the advice of such successful people from a variety of backgrounds.  I want to know the answers to questions like: what does it take to be successful, what challenges have you overcome, what wisdom do you want to share with others?  In listening to their answers, I learn so much!

While you’ll find more details in the interviews themselves, I thought it would be interesting and useful to keep a written record of my guests' insights.  When searching for inspiration or a specific suggestion, I wanted to be able to look back and remember terrific advice from people who are living their dreams - and I wanted my listeners to be able to do the same.  So I’m adding a "TakeAways" section to my website and sharing them with you On Mogul.

Once a week for the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing each guest's advice, one article at a time.  I hope that their advice will inspire you to live your own dreams!

First up, Elliott Kalan, former Head Writer of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (he has 4 Emmys from his writing for the show!) and current Head Writer of Mystery Science Theater 3,000.  Elliott is also Co-Host of The Flop House podcast and Co-Host of Audible’s new series Presidents Are People Too.  Elliott has achieved a lot of success at a young age and his advice is universal for anyone looks to advance in their career (http://bit.ly/1VW7rFK)!

Here we go:

Jessica Lipps: What advice do you have for aspiring writers and comedians?

Elliott Kalan:

– Do not be afraid to put yourself out there.  Do not be afraid to submit for things and produce your own content and put it on the internet or get in touch with places and professionally and respectfully express your interest in a writing job or other position.  The worst that happens is nothing happens and you’re exactly where you started and the best is that you get a leg up or get a position you’re looking for.

– Do not wait for the perfect job but instead take the job that will get you closer to where you want to be, and be open to opportunities that might take you in directions you didn’t expect but might get you to where you want to be.

– I made three rules for myself when working in retail at Barnes and Nobles right before I started at The Daily Show:

1) Dress a little nicer than you have to.  I always wore a tie to Barnes and Nobles, which made customers think that I was a manager so they would listen to me when I told them things!  When I was an intern at The Daily Show, I never wore a t-shirt to work.  I always wore a button down shirt and it might have been a short-sleeved button down shirt, but it was a button down shirt.  I don’t think that anyone cared, but it made me feel that this is a workplace and I want to be professional.

2) Work as hard as you can because most people don’t.  If you give 100%, most are giving 50% and even at a top show where everyone wants to succeed, many are giving 85% so you look like you’re giving a superhuman amount of effort just because you’re trying as hard as you can.

3) Always be nice to people.  So much of this business is about personal relationships.  You want to help people that you like.  The best networking it to be make friends and be friendly to people.  Get as good as you can at comedy, find people who share your sensibility, be friendly with them and, as everyone rises, they will help each other.

#LippsOn Life     #TakeAways

You can find and follow Lipps On Life and Elliott Kalan at:

Facebook:  Facebook.com/LippsOnLife

Twitter:       @JessLipps       @ElliottKalan       @TheFlopHousePod

Instagram: JessicaLipps16

Itunes:         https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/lipps-on-life/id1113281441?mt=2

• Alegra

"Takeaways" is a great idea for your interviews. Kalan's advice is very simple yet insightful and wise. Who are you planning to interview next? Looking forward to it!

• Jessica Lipps
      Jessica Lipps Mogul Influencer

Thank you so much for this nice comment. I'm so glad that you like the idea! My next TakeAways is from the Director of The Amazing Nina Simone documentary, Jeff L. Lieberman. Stay tuned for his advice next week! :)

• Olivia Facini

This is great advice, and I agree with Alegra--if we don't have a chance to listen to the whoole interview, we can get the most important parts from your post! Thank you! If you'd be willing to share, I'm curious: how do you go about choosing the people you interview?

• Jessica Lipps
      Jessica Lipps Mogul Influencer

I'm really so glad that you like the TakeAways section and took the time to write! :). Of course- I'm happy to share! I want Lipps On Life to be like a fresh, young version of NPR. I'm curating a series of mostly young people who are doing really cool things and living their dreams. I'm interviewing people from all backgrounds: tech, business, film, music, TV, spiritual leaders, government and more. I'm interviewing people who inspire and excite me and whose stories I want to share. It might be because they have achieved great success in career, it might be because they overcame a significant life challenge and have keen insights to impart or it might be because they are making a difference in our world. I hope that their journeys, advice and more will inspire us all to be our best selves and live our own dreams!

• Olivia Facini

This sounds like a great mission. I look forward to hearing more of from all these cool, driven, and inspiring people.

• Jessica Lipps
          Jessica Lipps Mogul Influencer

Thanks so much! I look forward to sharing with you and others!

Thanks so much! I look forward to sharing with you and others!

• Jessica Lipps
          [deleted]

[deleted]

[deleted]

Jessica Lipps
Mogul Influencer

Jessica hosts Mogul Interviews: Inspirational Interviews with Celebrities and Industry Leaders

Moguls Interested in Career