Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Work Location: New York, New York (On-site Only - No Remote work) Relocation assistance not available at this time.
The Digital Growth and Commerce team sits at the and epicenter of IBM’s digital re-invention. We are relentless change makers, dreamers and pioneers literally designing the digital future of IBM. And we get the job done. If you want to be part of the team that is re-inventing one of the most storied brands on planet Earth, this is the job for you.
As the Commerce Platform’s Senior Visual Designer you will work with the Commerce Design Lead to establish the future modern experience for the IBM’s Commerce Platform. This role will require intense collaboration between business stakeholders, content strategy and user experience to transform IBM’s existing commerce platform into a modern and delightful experience. The commerce platform is unique in that it offers an opportunity to apply both marketing and purchase-driven logic to a platform where a product design acumen is crucial.
You will also be a part of a larger historic initiative of creating IBM’s next generation digital experiences through the new design system, and act as a key player in evolving the brand new design system in its infancy into something more mature and complete within the context of the commerce platform.
– Work with a partially established IBM design system to establish a design system for the commerce platform
– Translate complex business logic into innovative, intuitive, & effective interfaces & user experiences.
– Work with and mentor existing designers on visual design best practices in developing a modern product
– Understand and embrace the nature of the minimum viable product aspect of product design while maintaining a high level of excellence
– Work with UX designers and user researchers to learn about user behaviors and identify pain points to inform the team’s design & development efforts.
– Conduct design research towards solutions.
– Create prototypes of varying fidelity to effectively communicate the solutions.
– Present design solutions to the team and iterate towards getting approval.
– Champion design decisions with research data & rationale.
– Act as a subject matter expert around the commerce platform as well as in the general design field to help the team make the right decision.
Keywords: UI Design, Product Design, Senior Visual Design
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
– Solid training and experience in design principles and practices such as typography, layout, color theory, interaction design, and user centric design
– 8+ years of experience in design
– Previous experience designing for large b2c and b2b commercial transactional platforms
– Ability to understand complex business logic and information flows
– Demonstration of delivering exceptional user-centered outcomes to market
– Mastery of design and prototyping tools such as Sketch & Adobe creative suite.
– Portfolio that displays a solid understanding of design research, user experience or visual design principles
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
– 15+ years of experience in design
– Previous experience designing SaaS and Cloud purchase experiences
– Successful track record participating in interdisciplinary teams informed by stakeholder and user inputs
– Hands-on experience in design thinking and agile
– Experience in designing with accessibility and globalization in mind
– Experience creating clickable prototypes (Flinto or Invision)
About Business Unit
At IBM Cognitive Applications, we build open applications that unlock the power of data for clients, partners, and developers. Running on top of IBM's unique Hybrid, Multi-cloud and AI infrastructures, these applications work across horizontal domains and bring our technology to life for end users. Cognitive Applications unit includes: Watson Customer Engagement, Watson IoT, Watson Media and Weather, Talent & Collaboration, Digital Growth & Commerce, and IBM Developer teams.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge? Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
IBM is a leading cloud platform and cognitive solutions company. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 employees serving clients in 170 countries. With Watson, the AI platform for business, powered by data, we [...]