Senior Database Administrator
Personal Capital’s application gives you a complete picture of your finances, including a holistic picture of your net worth. We offer comprehensive financial advisory services previously only available to the ultra wealthy. We use technology to revolutionize the financial industry by making it more affordable, accessible, and honest. Our service starts with our free award-winning tools, which enable you to track your entire financial life in one place. Our advisors work one-on-one with clients to help develop sound, long-term investing plans.
The Senior Database Administrator designs, implements, manages and supports our production and development databases. You will ensure our production databases have minimal downtime and are tuned for optimal performance and response time. You will also be responsible for performing security and maintenance releases. Further, you will work closely with a team of developers to define and evolve our data model, support application development, and data analytics. The primary focus is on our MySQL databases running on our AWS Aurora platform, but you will also be responsible for administration of DynamoDB, Redis and our Oracle RDS databases.
The position requires hands-on experience with MySQL Server 5.6 or above with production support for a 24x7 operation. Direct experience with on-call troubleshooting for database related issues are essential. Additionally you need experience with the management and implementation of database upgrades and migrations.
We use agile development methodology and expect our DBAs to be self-motivated, work well independently, and work with our developers during software deployments. We look for individuals that can assume responsibility for their work and require minimal supervision to ensure their tasks are complete. Excellent written and speaking communication skills are required as we work in a collaborative, cross-functional environment and interact with the full spectrum of business divisions.
Minimum Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years as MySQL production DBA including experience with design, implementation, backup and recovery, monitoring, and performance tuning.
- Experience with 24x7 support and troubleshooting production related database issues.
- 2+ years of experience running systems in the cloud (AWS)
- 2+ years of experience managing databases in virtual and cloud environments (AWS Redshift, VMware, RDS, EC2)
- Experience with cloud based services related to database administration (AWS, Rightscale, Cloudwatch, DataDog, Nagios, Monyog)
- Experience with designing and implementing high-availability database features, utilizing various replication and disaster recovery methodologies.
- Experience implementing database schema changes in live production environment requiring minimal downtime and zero performance impact.
- Experience defining and implementing database management tools across entire database platform to ensure database performance and stability is maximized across the entire organization
- Experience with managing the full life-cycle of database schema design and implementation, which includes script management from development through production releases.
- Experience with establishing and implementing database security and backup retention policies.
- Experience with scaling up and out (e.g. sharding based on specific keys) databases to meet the needs of increased storage and computing capacity.
- Experience managing non-relational database servers such as AWS DynamoDB, Redshift, Redis or other No-SQL platforms.
- Thorough understanding Linux/Unix server performance tuning at the OS level.