There is no single type of person whom we employ at the FT; our strength is in our employees, from all different backgrounds, united by a passion for delivering compelling, smart journalism.
Visit the FT Careers site for more information on our esteemed Editorial and Technology Graduate Schemes, Benefits, Learning & Development, and Life at the FT.
In this role you’ll:
Own the development of functionality from accepting a story through to delivery into Production environments
Ensure solutions are robust and technically fit for purpose and in line with FT technology strategy.
Ensure solutions achieve the required quality standards through close collaboration with the QA team, including pairing with Test Developers when required.
Work closely with Operations and Support teams to ensure delivery of efficient monitoring, alerting and runbooks.
Collaborate with business analysts & product owners to contribute to the definition and understanding of incoming requirements.
Participate in a peer group of other Developers for the purposes of knowledge sharing.
Work as part of an agile team with UK counterparts implementing software development best practices.
You’ll bring to the role:
A minimum of 3 years of software development at a mid level or a minimum of 6 years overall software development experience.
Previous experience working in a highly Agile development environment
A strong passion for technology, with a willingness and drive to constantly learn new tools and techniques
Experience in implementing (coding & unit testing) detailed design into application functionalities using the following technologies
- Strong Object Oriented, Java 1.7+ and Java EE skills with an in-depth knowledge of the Servlet API.
- Experience using tools such as Heroku and Puppet to efficiently provision environments
- Experience using Jenkins for managing build pipelines.
- Experience of Dropwizard or similar frameworks utilising embedded Servlet containers.
- Java Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks (Preferably JUnit and Mockito
- Hands on experience across XML, JSON and HTML(5).
- Apache Ant and Apache Maven
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services (preferably with experience on AWS)
- Experience using version control systems, preferably Git.
- NoSQL, preferably with hands on experience with Cassandra
- Demonstrated experience taking ownership over the development of features with respect to both infrastructure and functional concerns
- Excellent Unit Testing skills with TDD and BDD experience and exposure to a variety of mocking techniques and frameworks.
- A good knowledge of the HTTP specification and experience developing REST based web services.
- An understanding of cloud based systems and methodologies
- Strong command line Linux skills
- A strong drive to participate and encourage continuous improvement within the programme and a willingness to share experiences with other team members across FT Technology
Experience working within an environment where operational support and monitoring of code & systems is part of the culture.
Experience of continuous delivery processes and DevOps methodologies.
Experience using Nagios, Splunk or similar monitoring tools
Passion for continuous learning and keep abreast of other new trends, programmes and initiatives
- Ability to collaboration with business stakeholders when required, to determine new requirements resulting from product changes as well as changes to existing functionality.
The Financial Times is one of the world’s leading business news organisations, recognised internationally for its authority, integrity and accuracy. Providing essential news, comment, data and analysis for the global business community, we have 2,200 employees spread over 4 main offices and 35 [...]