On Tuesday, August 29th, the Trump administration formally announced that they will be phasing out the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program that currently allows over 787,580 young individuals to attend schools, apply for jobs, and obtain driver's licenses.
The following conditions are only a few that are required by the individual to be able to take part in the DACA relief program:
- came to the U.S. while under the age of 16
- are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a GED, or have been honorably discharged from the Coast Guard or Armed Forces
- have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor, or more than three misdemeanors of any kind
- do not pose a threat to national security or public safety
President Trump announced that Congress has up to 6 months to propose a new legislation (The Guardian) and preserve the program before those protected under the DACA begin to lose their status. Until then, those whose status expires by March 5th, 2018 will be allowed to apply for a two-year permit until the beginning of April 2018. Without the renewal of the program, however, more than 640,000 people will lose their status by the end of August 2019. (CNN News)
Please sign the petition below, according to state, to indicate to your Congress representatives that they should preserve the DACA program.
Tell Virginia Senators Tim Kaine and Mark Warner to protect the DREAMers.
Key things to remember:
1) DACA is still in effect and valid until further notice.
2) Anyone that has DACA and is outside of the United States with advance work permit (travel permit) should RETURN RIGHT NOW.
3) Carry a copy of your work permit everywhere you go.
4) Memorize your “A Number” AKA “USCIS Number”, located on your work permit.
5) For case-by-case questions, speak to a lawyer or BIA accredited representative. Don't fall victim to fraud or scams from notarios and other fraudulent businesses.
6) Your employer can't fire you, put you on leave, nor ask about your DACA status.
7) The social security number that you received with DACA is valid for life, memorize your SSN.
8) Check your state's laws about ID's and driver's licenses.
9) Makes copies of your State ID’s, Driver’s License and Passport.
You Might Also Like
Why We Really Love to Hate President Trump
Dario Natarelli | Tap Dance | 2016 National YoungArts Week
Mogul is a platform reaching millions of women per week across 196 countries and 30,470 cities. Mogul is democratizing information for women worldwide by enabling users to connect, share information, and access knowledge from each other. Headquartered in NYC, with offices in San Francisco and [...]