Winter is looming on the doorsteps for many, so with any seasonal change, now is the time to prepare. Winterizing your hair care routine is one personal beauty area to not forget.
One struggle that Old Man Winter brings to our hair and skin, is an increased need for hydration. Just like in hot weather, colder temperatures can also dry out your hair, so conditioning treatments and a shampoo and conditioner formula with extra hydration is key.
In fact, according to Cloud 10’s Millennial Hair Care Report, 17% of those surveyed stated reducing dryness (year-round) is a key hair care goal, while 12% wish for less frizz.
Tips to Winterize Hair
- Accessorize: While your shampoo and conditioner formulas may vary slightly each season, it helps to integrate different styling aids into your routine.
- Hydrate: Choose a hydrating shampoo and conditioner formula for winter months.
- Add Heat: Heat styling is less damaging in cooler weather so use hot tools more during the winter and opt for pony tails and braids during summer months. Hair tends to hold heat styling much longer in cooler temperatures.
- Avoid Frequent Color Changes: We know it’s fun to switch up hair color every occasionally, but we do not recommend changing hair colors every season, as over-processing could cause breakage and damage.
- Go away Static Electricity: The best ways to prevent winter hair static are to use a light hairspray and avoid using plastic combs.
- Wash less: Hair requires less washing in winter months because we naturally perspire less.
Once you have “winterized” your hair, you can relax and enjoy the winter activities and not worry if you are doing any damage to your hair.
Jodi Dery, Co-Founder of ProfilePRO LLC, the creator of Cloud 10 Hair Care and HairRx – innovative, customized, and salon quality hair care lines. Jodi is also the founder and CEO of Cloud 10 Salons, located in Boca Raton and Delray Beach, Florida. With a decade of experience in the spa industry [...]