MyBrotherSavedMyLife

Ami Nakrani
over 1 year Story
My Brother Saved My Life

When I was six months old, I was diagnosed with Beta Thalassemia Major- a genetic blood disorder that affects the body's production of hemoglobin. This was dangerous to my health and caused many serious problems that compromised my ability to thrive. In order to continue living and maintain my health, I went through several medical procedures and medications over the span of six years from blood transfusions to chemotherapy. However, these things only did so much for me and my health until a cure came my way- my brother. My brother donated his bone marrow to me, which cured my disease and am here today because of it. I don't remember any of this because I was too young and a part of me feels guilty for that. However, I am forever grateful for my brother and have learned to appreciate his gift more and more as I have grown older.

P.S. Please check out and support Be the Match. It's an amazing organization with an even better purpose to help those with blood cancers find their bone marrow match.

• Suzie
    over 1 year ago San Francisco, CA, United States

Beautiful and touching story!

Beautiful and touching story!

• Ami Nakrani
      over 1 year ago

I'm glad you read and enjoyed it:)

I'm glad you read and enjoyed it:)

• namisha
    namisha Inquisitive, Avid Reader, Food Lover, Amateur Chef, Digital Sensei
    over 1 year ago New York, NY, United States

This is so touching

This is so touching

• Danica
    over 1 year ago

I live this story.

I live this story.

• Danica
    over 1 year ago

I'm sure being a great little sister saves your brother's life everyday as well.

• Ami Nakrani
      over 1 year ago

Danica, I'm so sorry for the late reply--I'm terrible. But, loved the kind words, thank you! Haha I'm also the older sister;)

Trying to live my best life these days.

Moguls Interested in University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign