MeetThePresident:PennState

kailey.anne.99
over 2 years Long Beach, NY, United States Story
Meet The President: Penn State

My name is Kailey Ahearn. I'm an incoming freshman to Penn State, and I can't wait to start not only becooming a Penn State student, but working to bring mogul to Penn State.

A couple facts about me:

1) I'm a libra

2) I'm an artist and a writing

3) My favorite novel is The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

4) My favorite music artist: One Direction, Hey Violet, Rihanna, Whitney Houston, Beyonce

5) My favorite tv shows: Thirteen Reasons Why, Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, SNL, One Tree Hill, It's Always Sunny, Law and Order: SVU, Criminal Minds

6) My favorite movies: Les Mis, Moana, Mulan, The Prince of Eygpt, White Girl, 13th, Hush, Jane Eyre, Teenage Cocktail, The White Helmets, India's Daughter

I have a lot of goals for mogul at Penn State that I hope to accomplish, with the help of my team and all students and staff at Penn State. Penn State is an amazing school that is constantly changing and growing to fit the student body and their needs. But there is still more gorwing and changing needed that I hope we can address together.

One major issue that I hope we can address together is the alarming rate of sexual assaults and sexual harrasment that occurs on campus. According to Penn State, one fourth of women at Penn State have experienced sexual assult while on campus. According to an outside suvey, 80% of women at Penn State claim to have experienced some sort of sexual assult or harrasment. This is an alarming trend. All students, despite gender or sex, deserve to an equal and safe education and living experience. Sexual assult and harrasment hinder this. I believe we can use mogul as a support system for victims of sexual assault and harrasment as well as a platform for real changes against sexual assualt and harrassment.

Another major issue that I would like to focus on is diversity. Penn State is a very diverse campus, but many people are unaware of this. 1,366 international students attentended the freshman class of 2015, and the numbers have only increased. 6% of students in 2015 were african american. 6.1% of students in 2015 were asain american. 6.2% of students in 2015 were hispaninc/latinx. There are more presentages and as the years have gone, the numbers have increased. I also want to bring to attention and spread awareness of the LGBTQ+ community at Penn Sate. I hope that with the help of all students and staff at Penn State with the use of mogul, will help to spread diversity and awareness all over campus.

Overall, I have many issues that I want to help to spread and work on at Penn State. I want to connect all of the students and staff at Penn State, especially the female population, to bond us and stregthen us to help create a  better, stronger Penn State.

• Danica

I love your goals for Mogul at Penn State. I can't wait to see your team flourish!

• RobinToday
    over 2 years ago NY

Glad to hear that you are liberal arts! The creative type. Right now, what are the most talked about or urgent issues at Penn State?

over 2 years ago Long Beach, NY, United States

I think rape on campus and how the school administration handles it (or there lack thereof) and the lack of diversity on campus are two main issues that I hope to address and improve while my time at Penn State.

• RobinToday
        over 2 years ago NY

Is Penn State mainly white?

Is Penn State mainly white?

• RobinToday
        over 2 years ago NY

Hi Kailey, Sounds like a list of serious issues. I truly admire you guys for the seriousness with which you guys deal with these issues while studying for the future.

incoming freshman @ Penn State * psychology and women's studies major