MeetthePresident:LaG

kactuskelly
kactuskelly Kelly Chen
over 2 years Brooklyn, NY, United States Story
Meet the President: LaG

Welcome queens of Mogul at LaG!

I am Kelly, a junior majoring in the visual arts and I am very excited to be bringing a hub to LaGuardia to provide an external catharsis for our incredible student body. This year I have found my place in high school and began reaching out to networks that raise upright thinking in a time where we are all processing the world and ourselves. Right now, I am art directing and writing for the Affinity Magazine, juggling 10 periods of art and academic studies, running my own international magazine (The Tiger Bomb), running on my daily $2 iced coffee (Almond milk. No sugar.), and probably singing along to some pop album from 2007.

I grew up with the influences of so many parts of NYC, jumping around from Washington Heights to Chinatown to Midtown to the Lower East Side to Coney Island. I have found that right now, we are all "figuring it out" in some way and that having a supportive, creative space is vital as we are finding our opinions is vital.

Here is the actually important stuff about me:

1) I carry around 5+ shades of red lipstick at all times (for emergencies of course...)

2) I have over 100 playlists in my Spotify playlist archive and I have been following my Spotify Discover (religiously) every Monday.

3)  I live for poetry and prose!

4) I have a guilty pleasure for ballads from the early 2000s...

5) I have been keeping sketchbooks and journals since the 7th grade.

6) I speak 2 dialects of Chinese to my family, and I am currently picking up a third!

7) The first band that I followed (ever...) was Paramore and I still have a sweet spot for them. Most people get out of the "It's Not a Phase, Mom!" phase, but I will perpetuate this phase in my heart forever...

8) I am aspiring to be creative director, writer, and visual artist for short films, commercials, and makeup brands.

9) I am very vocal about feminism for Asian Americans and model minority groups, and I hope to continue to bring exposure to our cultures and diversity.

10) I love the Food Network more than most things. <3!

I am bringing Mogul to LaG as a part of my Student Government promise to bring exposure and opportunities to the Fame school. Have a safe and productive LaGuardia day!

• Ellen velvet

What do you watch on the Food Network?

What do you watch on the Food Network?

• kactuskelly
      kactuskelly Kelly Chen
      over 2 years ago Brooklyn, NY, United States

I've been following Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives since I was 11 years old!

• Ellen velvet

Wow. Does he not look a little bit tired for such as young cook/celebrity? You look much healthier in the picture! What kind of food do you eat or cook?

• jessica

Hey Kelly, That is an impressive list! What is your girls' curriculum?

Hey Kelly, That is an impressive list! What is your girls' curriculum?

• kactuskelly
      kactuskelly Kelly Chen
      over 2 years ago Brooklyn, NY, United States

The entire student population enters the school in a major in a performing art, visual arts, or tech! But alongside 3 hours+ of art classes a day for 4 years, we have to follow the typical public school academic line up. As for art classes, this year I am taking anatomy drawing and digital art. For academics, we have the choice to structure our schedules, so I am taking Calculus AB, English Language and Composition, Physics, US History, and Japanese!

• Danica

What's one of your favorite ballads from 2000?

What's one of your favorite ballads from 2000?

• kactuskelly
      kactuskelly Kelly Chen
      over 2 years ago Brooklyn, NY, United States

"Behind These Hazel Eyes" by Kelly Clarkson will never fail to bring back some memories!

kactuskelly
Kelly Chen

Founder of The Tiger Bomb, Artist and Filmmaker, Self-acclaimed Poet and Journalist

Moguls Interested in Laguardia High School of Music & Performing Arts