FriendsGiveYourLifeMeaning

dgisonni@gmail.com
dgisonni@gmail.com GENERAL MANAGER, CANYONRANCH WELLNESS RETREAT - WOODSIDE, AUTHOR, MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER
over 3 years San Francisco Bay Area, CA, United States Story
Friends Give Your Life Meaning

Do you remember your first best friend?  Mine was Diane. We were eleven years old when she moved into my neighborhood with her mother, siblings and new stepfather right after her parents got divorced. We bonded instantly over commonalities such as sweaty hands, curly hair and our growing interest in boys. For many years we shared much of our lives together—from double dates to college escapades and then on to careers, marriages, divorces, child decisions, health scares, raising pets, etc. We’ve lived on opposite ends of the U.S. now since we were twenty-three years old, but when we talk or see each other, we pick up right where we left off as if no time has passed—as if we’re still eleven-year old girls chatting on the phone about nothing and everything.

Friends form a unique bond that is different than family. They share secrets and dreams that family may never understand or support. And unlike family, you get to pick your friends! My friend Diane couldn’t pick her new father, but she could pick her new best friend...me!

Helen Keller once said, “Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” We are not put on this earth to live alone or be alone. Countless studies have proven that social connections have a positive effect on our well-being including reducing stress, alleviating depression, and even extending life. What would happen if you lived life without any contact with other people? Chances are you wouldn’t have much of a reason to stick around because friends give your life meaning. They also make it fun. Could you imagine Lucy without Ethel, Laurel without Hardy or Butch Cassidy without the Sundance Kid?

Your circle of friends can come from normal or unexpected circumstances. Sometimes a complete stranger comes into your life and becomes your friend. You may have nothing in common except one chance meeting. In fact, if you consider anyone you encounter in your day—the homeless person begging on the corner, the grocery bagger at the food store, the person in the car next to yours—to be a friend and treat those people as such, you will live a more rich and meaningful life while enriching the lives of others.

Friends nourish our soul, inside and out. Barbra Streisand once sang that the luckiest people in the world are people who need other people. I would add that they are also the richest people in the world because your life is truly rich when you have friends. Make sure you value your friends and keep friendships a part of your life. Reach out to a friend today!

• Lucía Carrillo

“Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” Beautiful...

• Demi Chu
    Demi Chu n. Graphophile; Believer of the Tiny White Host
    over 3 years ago Philippines

My friends are also my family! Thanks for sharing this!

My friends are also my family! Thanks for sharing this!

• Ruthie Angel
    Ruthie Angel ig and twitter: @ruchiebags
    over 3 years ago Philippines

There's this one girl in our class back then whi I didn't really like coz i thought che's a total b*tch (she always has these resting b*itch face) But it turns out she isn't really one! And now we are bestfriends. :)

• Demi Chu
      Demi Chu n. Graphophile; Believer of the Tiny White Host
      over 3 years ago Philippines

The best kind of friendships are the unexpected ones! haha

The best kind of friendships are the unexpected ones! haha

• Naina Dwivedi
    Naina Dwivedi "In the end we only regret the chances we don't take"
    over 3 years ago India

Hey, this article reminded me of my BFF.

Hey, this article reminded me of my BFF.

• Mschafer14

My friends give me SO much meaning. Love this article, thanks for sharing.

My friends give me SO much meaning. Love this article, thanks for sharing.

• Klaudia Amenábar
    Klaudia Amenábar 👑 mEmE QuEen 👑
    over 3 years ago Night Vale

Hi Debbie great article! By the way if you click on your profile picture up in the top right next to POST, and click settings, you can change your username so your email isn't public. :-)

• dgisonni@gmail.com
      over 3 years ago San Francisco Bay Area, CA, United States

Thanks Klaudia!

Thanks Klaudia!

dgisonni@gmail.com

Inspiring personal growth, professional success and positive change. Author of The Goddess of Happiness, Vita’s Will and Note to Self: Love (Book & Screenplay). Lover of food, fashion, fitness, funky music, dogs, dancing, cooking, laughter and anything Italian.

Moguls Interested in Love & Relationships