Several major cities in America have been successful in changing Columbus Day to Indigenous People's Day to celebrate and recognize Indigenous People to reflect upon the ongoing struggles of Indigenous people on this land, and to celebrate the thriving culture and value that Indigenous nations add to all cities.
Be It Further Resolved, this nation encourages other businesses, organizations and public entities to recognize Indigenous Peoples Day.
The City of Buffalo has a strong history of American Indian culture. It is time for the city to reflect and honor that tradition in order to progress, recognize and celebrate the history of Indigenous People. International Day of the World's Indigenous People already exists in August, first commemorated by the U.N. This petition is for the abolition of Christopher Columbus Day, the 2nd Monday in October, an outdated and historically incorrect celebration, in favor of Indigenous Heritage Day.
1. Buffalo News/City Hallways/Politics Now Article: http://politicsnow.buffalonews.com/2016/02/16/21782/
2. Buffalo Rising Article: http://www.buffalorising.com/2016/02/city-of-buffalo-resolution-to-change-columbus-day-to-indigenous-heritage-day/
3. Mogul Article: https://onmogul.com/stories/city-of-buffalo-resolution-to-change-columbus-day-to-indigenous-heritage-day
4. Remember Native Americans. Org/Support: https://www.facebook.com/RememberNativeAmericans/posts/10154100300867203?fref=nf&pnref=story
5. Native American and First Nations Cultures/Support: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=975305805839502&id=119586531411438&fref=nf&pnref=story
6. Indigenous Environmental Network. Org/Support: https://www.facebook.com/ienearth/posts/10153448411660642?fref=nf&pnref=story
Please join us in sharing, signing and educating yourself on historical fact and the genocide of Indigenous people.
Please join us in progressing towards a healing society.
Research this issue on your own. Below are various resources available at your local library and online.
Encyclopaedia Britannica : http://www.britannica.com/biography/Christopher-Columbus
Biography.com : http://www.biography.com/people/christopher-columbus-9254209
Howard Zinn : http://www.historyisaweapon.com/zinnapeopleshistory.html
There are numerous books and articles that go in depth to disturbing and detailed personal letters and logs, voyages, conquests, imperialism and colonization including the agony endured by several Indigenous tribes under the direction of Columbus.
As far as "America" is concerned, this land was founded by the Indigenous that inhabited it.
We cannot alter the past, however, we can change the present and the future.