AnOpenLettertoMyFriendinMedicalSchool

Demi Chu
4mo Philippines Story
An Open Letter to My Friend in Medical School

Want to read Mogul's bestselling book YOU ARE A MOGUL? It's now available here.

Dear Friend (Or as I have called you so many times, Medical Student),

You are an open book. I catch you sometimes frowning on the words written on a hand-out that you complain so many times about, and know that you wish you didn’t dream about this. Your mind runs like it’s in a marathon – and you still tell me, it is never enough… because you’re losing. You oftentimes wish that memorizing and understanding something was as easy as transferring data from a memory card. But reality hits you in the face when it proves to you that it is never that easy. I see reality push you down and drag you to the ground when you fail every quiz… when you can’t answer a question so many of your classmates already know about. And that’s when you start slowing down. You looked at me one time and said, “In our mind, our dreams sparkle with big bold letters and golden arrows pointing at it. But when you try to reach them, the luster disappears and the lights flicker. And you realize that not all the things that shine are alive – aren’t the stars in the night sky dead?”

That day, I didn’t reply. I didn’t know what to say. But now, I finally have something to say. When we were younger, you never mentioned anything about becoming a physician. Yet I noticed how you played doctor when someone got wounded. Sometimes, I see you on the internet playing simulation games of doctors’ doing surgery.  And I saw you cry when you wish you were older so you could’ve saved your grandfather… when you wished that he was still alive so he could see you now. Your mother talked about how great he was and you were too late to even know. The next few days, your face beamed as if your mind lit up an idea. And every time someone asked you about what you were going to do after high school, you smiled and replied, “I’m going to become a doctor.” No one told you it was going to be hard, but then again, no one told you it was going to be easy. No one told you that before you got there, you needed tons of coffee, some added kilograms on your weight, sleepless nights, failing grades, tears and blood, thousands of prayers and a lot of people – to tell you, you can do it… to tell you that they believe in you… because you’re starting to lose faith in yourself.

So I am asking you this… what are you giving your dream up for? Is it as important as the many times you told me that you wanted to let people live a little longer so they could still say ‘I love you’  to their family or go to their daughter’s dance recital or simply live? Is it as important as the many people who stood by you, never gave up on you and tirelessly built the stairs that you now climb to reach your dream? Is throwing away your dream not as hard as regretting? Because love, you fought for this. You went through four years of hell so you could finally go into medical school… so you could finally save lives – even if you hadn’t got the chance to save that one person you so badly wanted in your life.  Just right now, you are already a physician. You may not have the license and you may still not have graduated but you already are a doctor. Because I saw how selfless you are. How you messed up your life so others could live. You say you feel stupid, that it feels like you don’t fit in medical school, that people are smart there, that you feel that you don’t have the magic hands that can cure. But that is not what I see and most importantly, you are not alone! Many people feel this way… not only in medical school, but in the game of life. So trust me when I tell you that you can get through this. That all your hard work will someday pay off. You are smart. I see it every time you read a line again and again because you try to understand it. I see it every time you fail because you don’t cheat yourself out of it – you want to learn things the best way, not only for yourself but for your future patients. And that in itself is an essence of a true genius. So please start trusting yourself because someday, people will come knocking on your door because they trust you with their lives. Don’t give up. You didn’t come this far just to get the hell out of it. Nothing is as huge as the times your heart started to cave in because you craved for this dream.

And so, to finally answer your question, no… not all the stars in the night sky are dead. They say that stars can live up to million years. So maybe when you look up the sky, you see stars that have seen more than the years you have lived. They have seen many people who don’t walk on this earth anymore. And now they are going to see you live. Let these stars be your dream… that despite the many times the universe might have failed them – they still shine. But then again, I know you. And you will in some way find another loophole. So I’ll stay ahead of you and recall that you did say that not all things that shine are alive. But you’re a doctor remember? Save them.

Thumbnail Credit: https://twitter.com/lyona_ivanova

Want to read Mogul's bestselling book YOU ARE A MOGUL? It's now available here.

• Lucie Krisman

Thank you! ♥

• Mahnoor

😍😍

😍😍

2y ago Philippines

• Huda28

This is so amazing, brought tears to my eye because I related with every single sentence. Never lose faith and keep pushing :)

over 2 years ago Philippines

Thank you! You are amazing as well <3

Thank you! You are amazing as well <3

• Kaori Marie Sembrano 62

I'm still in my 3rd year of Medical laboratory science course ( a pre-med course), and I thank you for this letter. I tasted failure after failure for 2 years and a half, and when I got kicked out of my dream school because of a grand slam of failed subjects, I lost all hope. I was soo confused and depressed and blamed myself for everything; plus the fact that my mother suspects me of lazing out adds up to the deep sadness during that time. I read this and I cried my heart out because it fanned the little flame left inside of me. Thank you for the encouraging words, thank you for believing in us. I got to transfer another med school who gave me another chance, and I'm still coping with the environmental change and the way the school teaches, but I'm hanging in here. Thank you.

over 2 years ago Philippines

Always remember that what other people say don't matter. You make your own destiny. Grades won't dictate where you'll end up in life. Remain humble and hard-working at all times! Cheering you on until the end! You can do this!

• penguins232waddle

I just wanted to say thank you for writing that letter. I am currently studying for the MCAT, and I have been feeling discouraged. I feel that all of my preparation will be for nothing, and I won't do as well as I want to. However, reading that has made me feel that there is hope. I didn't come this far just to stop now, so I would like to thank you. Thank you for encouraging me once again. Thank you for making me remember that I still have hope and that it will all work out in the end. I am going to bookmark this letter, so that whenever I feel down; I can always go back and read it again. Thank you once again.

over 3 years ago Philippines

When I wrote this letter, I never thought I could reach out to so many people. I am overwhelmed by all the "thank you's" and I wish you good luck on your MCAT! I am grateful as well for your appreciation! All the love and luck!

• Veronica Guay 71

Thank you so much for writing this beautiful article. It takes alot to remain positive in a negative world. It made me tear up a little there. I can relate to every sentence in this. thank you. All the very best to you, dr :)

[deleted]
      over 3 years ago Philippines

[deleted]

[deleted]

• Veronica Guay 71

Thank you so much for writing this beautiful article. It made me tear up a little there. I can relate to every sentence in this. thank you. All the very best to you, doctor. :)

• Veronica Guay 71

over 3 years ago Philippines

This comment warms my heart! Thank you too! :)

This comment warms my heart! Thank you too! :)

• Jade Luong
    almost 4 years ago

Loved reading this!

Loved reading this!

almost 4 years ago Philippines

Thank you! :)

Thank you! :)

• eram_esita
    eram_esita Eram
    almost 4 years ago India

Wow.. We are pretty messed up even after we become physicians or specialists. Been through depression. At least someone understands. :)

almost 4 years ago Philippines

I know right? I hope it could be easier... I can only wish for us to have good luck!

• pervasha
    almost 4 years ago

that letter is really valuable for a true friend+student specially for a medical student

almost 4 years ago Philippines

This letter is actually a reminder for myself. And for everyone who have the same dreams. :)

• rida
    almost 4 years ago

Its amzingly motivational letter but i feel cry when i read this whole because i'll not able to save my dreams and others life as a doctor

almost 4 years ago Philippines

You don't need to be a doctor to save lives, you only need to be you. I know you can do this :)

• nimmi
    almost 4 years ago

That was nice and encouraging

That was nice and encouraging

almost 4 years ago Philippines

thank you! :D

thank you! :D

• mila
    almost 4 years ago

Thank you so much for writing this. I really needed it. You found all the right words

almost 4 years ago Philippines

That's a wonderful thing to say! Thank you 💖

That's a wonderful thing to say! Thank you 💖

• ayesha2121
    almost 4 years ago

wow,, its reallyyyyy beautiful.. and it brought tears to my eyes.. i really needed this motivation.

almost 4 years ago Philippines

Thank you! You don't know how much that means to me! 😂

Thank you! You don't know how much that means to me! 😂

• MS_Ash
    almost 4 years ago

Thank you for writing this! As a current med student, I can say from my own experience that school can be frustrating, overwhelming, and disheartening. There have been plenty of times where I felt that I wasn't good enough even when I put my heart and soul into studying. It is really the people around us - family, friends, and fellow classmates - that continue to uplift us when we start to lose faith in ourselves.

almost 4 years ago Philippines

For a while I thought I was the only one who felt that way but now, I see that we all are fighting to survive med school. Feeling not good enough is really one of the downers of being a med student, but I know we'll get through this. We'll get there ;) Thank you for your appreciation by the way! And good luck!

• Mishal Nasir
    almost 4 years ago

this is perfect.

this is perfect.

• RobinToday
      4mo ago NY

Yes, it is. I love this letter.

Yes, it is. I love this letter.

[deleted]
      almost 4 years ago Philippines

[deleted]

[deleted]

almost 4 years ago Philippines

Wow, thank you!

Wow, thank you!

almost 4 years ago Philippines

This comment is amazing. Thank you!

This comment is amazing. Thank you!

Demi Chu