Become your best self with a community of real women around the world who have your back.

A#DayintheLifeofaRecentGraduateinNewYorkCity

tayloramead
tayloramead Journalist/Blogger, Social Media Specialist, & Women's Advocate
over 2 years New York City, NY, United States Story
A #DayintheLife of a Recent Graduate in New York City

Name: Taylor Mead

Age: 23

Home city/country: New York City/USA

Current Occupation: I am a recent graduate of Fordham University, currently working as an Editorial Fellow at AOL's MAKERS.com.

Time I wake up: 7:30 AM

First thing I do in the morning: Every morning (after I hit snooze at least once), I check my email.

My typical breakfast: Maple & brown sugar oatmeal with green tea.

I spend most of my day doing: Every day I am lucky enough to do what I love to do — write. Depending on the day, I write anywhere from 3 to 5 short articles on topics related to incredible women and/or our MAKERS (i.e. Gloria Steinem, Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, etc.).

After work, I like to: Unwind. Whether it's going out to dinner with friends, taking a class at the gym (i.e. Zumba/yoga), or watching whatever is on television that night, I try to keep my schedule flexible, but always relaxed during the week.

A fun night for me includes: Spending time with friends or family I have not seen in a while.

Time I go to sleep: As hard as I try to get myself to bed early, I normally end up going to bed around midnight.

Last thing I do at night: Check my email. Both right when I wake up and immediately before bed, I make sure my inbox has no unread messages.

My favorite thing to do for fun: Explore. New York City is a wonderful place filled with innumerable hidden gems and while I want to find those special places in other countries, I always love discovering new places close to home.

My biggest fear right now: Not being 100% sure of what's next. Because although there is so much excitement in having the freedom to go wherever the road leads me, the uncertainty is often worrisome.

My biggest hope right now: The future. Every day I am surrounded by incredible women who have motivated me to be my best self and taught me more than I could ever imagine. I look forward to seeing where it takes me.

Someday I'd like to: Travel the world.

The biggest challenge I have overcome so far: Self doubt. I think everyone hits a few bumps in the road that cause them to question whether or not they are doing what they are supposed to be doing or if their passions are worth pursuing (right?). Fighting that self doubt and proving to myself that what I want to do and what I am good at are the same was the biggest challenge I have overcome so far.

The biggest challenge I hope to we overcome: Gender disparity.

Being a woman is wonderful because: We're all going through the same things (just in different ways and in various capacities). Whether we realize it or not, every woman is part of a sisterhood that experiences successes and failures together.

Being a woman is a challenge because: Often times women feel as though there is a need for competition, which is far from the case.

What's one thing people don't understand about your culture that you'd like to clarify to the international community? I think I would want people to know that what represents the best of American culture is not the hatred and lack of acceptance that we see so frequently in the media. Most of us are loving and compassionate individuals who dream the same dreams of freedom, equality, and peace.

If you could ask the Mogul community anything, what would it be? If you could put aside all of your fears, what would you do right now?

I am a Mogul because: I want to be able to help others as I have been helped — inspiring and empowering others as much as I have been inspired and empowered. I am a Mogul because I am honored to be a part of a community where others hope to do the same.

• Mia Andrea
    Mia Andrea Mogul influencer
    over 2 years ago Norway

Namaste beloved soul-sibling ✌.

Namaste beloved soul-sibling ✌.

• tayloramead
      tayloramead Journalist/Blogger, Social Media Specialist, & Women's Advocate
      over 2 years ago New York City, NY, United States

Namaste, Mia! :) Thanks for reading!

Namaste, Mia! :) Thanks for reading!

• Ellen velvet

I like what I’m reading.

I like what I’m reading.

• tayloramead
      tayloramead Journalist/Blogger, Social Media Specialist, & Women's Advocate
      over 2 years ago New York City, NY, United States

Thank you so much, Ellen!

Thank you so much, Ellen!

• Courtney Dercqu
    Courtney Dercqu Content Marketing Strategist & Writer

Your #DayintheLife sounds awesome. Can we trade? If I could put aside all my fears it would be to move to New York and become a writer. While my inner "Carrie Bradshaw" is coming out when I mention that dream, I know it's been my passion since I was a little girl. However, the fear of transitioning to something not guaranteed is scary, but in my opinion so worth the risk.

• tayloramead
      tayloramead Journalist/Blogger, Social Media Specialist, & Women's Advocate
      over 2 years ago New York City, NY, United States

Thank you so much for this! I just popped over to your page and was so impressed with even just your #DayintheLife piece. You have a knack for writing and engaging an audience so your "Carrie Bradshaw" dream (only the best kind of dream) is totally worth spreading your wings to try out. Because you're right, it's absolutely worth the risk! If you ever end up in NYC, I am happy to be here to chat about it! (Even if it's just to recommend one of the many cat cafes here!)

• Courtney Dercqu
        Courtney Dercqu Content Marketing Strategist & Writer

Ugh, you just mentioned the magic word for me! #catcafes And, thank you so much! I definitely enjoy hearing that. It's confirmation for me that I'm doing the right thing and headed down the path that will lead me to where I ultimately want to end up.

tayloramead