Share Knowledge With Women Worldwide

Connect and share knowledge with millions of women across 196 countries and 34,470 cities.

Post Anything

A#DayintheLifeInanentrepreneur,agenderequalityactivistandamom

Dr. Shruti Kapoor
Dr. Shruti Kapoor Founder, CEO
over 1 year New York, NY, United States Story
A #DayintheLife In an entrepreneur, a gender equality activist and a mom

Name: Dr. Shruti Kapoor

Age: 38

Home city/ country: New York/ USA

Current Occupation: (student, current job, etc.): Founder, CEO Sayfty

Time I wake up: 6am

First thing I do in the morning: Write my journal. Three pages of free flowing thoughts.

My typical breakfast: A cup of chai (tea) & oatmeal with nuts and fruits or egg and toast

Here's what my morning commute is like: I work from home, so luckily no commute for me.

I spend most of my day doing: Working on Sayfty. Building partnerships, replying to emails, communicating and guiding my team, on social media interacting with our followers, attending meetings, writing articles, meeting new people. I recently gave talks at the UN, World Merit 360 and now I am preparing for two exciting upcoming conferences.

After work or school, I like to: I like to spend all my time with my 7month old daughter, Diya. I play with her, feed her, go out for a walk with her, read her books, cuddle her in my arm, smother her with as much love and attention as I can possible give her.

A fun night for me includes: Watching a movie with my husband, good food, wine and dessert.

Time I go to sleep: Around midnight

Last thing I do at night: Brush my teeth, take off my lenses and just lie in bed with my eyes closed, watching my breath till I fall sleep

My favorite thing to do for fun: Since I became a mom is to play with my 7 month old daughter and be in her company.

My biggest fear right now: I have limited time and I won’t be able to balance work at Sayfty and give enough time to my daughter, Diya. I don’t want to miss out on Diya’s growing years and learning stages so I try to balance as much as I can and keep reminding myself that this time with her is precious and will never come back. There will be another year for Sayfty.

My biggest hope right now: Is that Violence Against Women becomes a thing of the past. That all genders raise their voices loud and clear against violence against women. That we learn to support the survivors and not blame them. That we open our eye, ears and hearts to listen and support each other.

Someday I'd like to: Make Violence Against Women a thing of the past. Read about it  in history books.

The biggest challenge I have overcome so far: Switching careers. I am a trained Economist who has spent a majority of my life studying, teaching or working in the field of Economics. Switching over to entrepreneurship is new. Founding and running Sayfty is exciting but also very challenging and I am learning every single day. Some days are rewarding, others not. It’s a learning process every day.

The biggest challenge I hope to overcome: To stop doubting my abilities and be myself. To believe in my self, my potential and my journey, each of which is unique and mine alone.

Being a woman is wonderful because: I am able to bring life on this earth. My life has changed after the birth of my daughter, Diya and I am truly grateful for that.

Being a woman is a challenge because: I never think being a woman is a challenge. However for me personally, right now my challenge is to raise my two babies Sayfty and Diya well. Each one requires unconditional love, care and attention.

What's one thing people don't understand about your culture that you'd like to clarify to the international community? That India is not just a land of snakes, elephants and charmers. We are the land of opportunity, of love, of culture and passion. Yes, violence against women is a problem in India, but it’s also a global pandemic. So stop looking at India like it’s the most dangerous place to be in or visit. The country is vibrant and rich in culture and one must experience it in his/her lifetime.

What's your favorite meal or recipe that is a specialty of your culture? I love chai (Indian tea with lots of ginger, milk and sugar). I make it daily. I also enjoy a good home cooked simple Indian meal like lentils and rice (Daal Chawal). It’s my comfort food.

If you could ask the Mogul community anything, what would it be? Let’s support each other in our endeavors. Speak up and voice our opinions to make this world a better place to live in.

I am a Mogul because: I believe in the power and potential of women. Collectively we can and will empower each other. I’ll close with an African quote “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together”.

• Kirthi Jayakumar
    Kirthi Jayakumar Founder, The Red Elephant Foundation
    over 1 year ago

lovely :) :)

lovely :) :)

• mandy Sanghera
    over 1 year ago

Shruti you are awesome 👏

Shruti you are awesome 👏

• MaryPflumPeterson
    over 1 year ago

Thank you so much for sharing your Day in the Life. So much of what you write is beautiful and inspiring. And as a fellow working mom, I can relate to so much of what you share. Keep up the amazing work. All of us at Mogul are cheering for you.

• Dr. Shruti Kapoor
      Dr. Shruti Kapoor Founder, CEO
      over 1 year ago

Mary thank you so much! Great to hear this resonated with another mom :) please do share the link to a day in your life. Would love to read it!

• Dr. Shruti Kapoor
      Dr. Shruti Kapoor Founder, CEO
      over 1 year ago

Mary many thanks for your kind words. I am loving your articles and am grateful for this virtual connection with you. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!

• Courtney Dercqu
    Courtney Dercqu Influencer
    over 1 year ago

Your post is such an important one because it brings so much awareness to violence and gender equality. A truly wonderful read! Also - your daughter is so adorable! Congratulations! Balancing motherhood and work is something so many women struggle trying to balance and I loved your candor about it.

• Dr. Shruti Kapoor
      Dr. Shruti Kapoor Founder, CEO
      over 1 year ago

Courtney thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking out the time to read and comment :)

• mary.franzese
    mary.franzese Stubborn-dreamer entrepreneur
    over 1 year ago

This is absolutely inspiring. I love the passion used in her words. Keep moving all together and make the world a better place to live in.

• Dr. Shruti Kapoor
      Dr. Shruti Kapoor Founder, CEO
      over 1 year ago

Mary, thank you so much for taking out the time to read my piece. I appreciate your support!

• LisaDouthit
    LisaDouthit Master Healer, Cancer and Autoimmune Thriver, Bestselling Author
    over 1 year ago

This was truly beautiful. As a mother and an activist myself, I am inspired every day by what I read on Mogul. I thank you for all your hard work. Please keep going.

• Dr. Shruti Kapoor
      Dr. Shruti Kapoor Founder, CEO
      over 1 year ago

Thank you Lisa. Let's support each other in the best way we know how. My love to you!

Dr. Shruti Kapoor
Founder, CEO

Dr. Shruti Kapoor is the Founder of Sayfty, an organization that educates, equips and empowers women and girls against violence. The White House recently selected her as a nominated change maker for the WomenOfState Summit. Dr. Kapoor has received several awards including the International Women of [...]