Abraham Lincoln, who was the first U.S. president elected from a moderate version of the Republican Party in 1860, might be seeing red over what has become of his Party today.
Politics as part show biz and part spectator sport. Politicon intermingles non-partisan amusements with the most pressing issues of the day. What follows are my top picks for what was serious fun.
1. Democracy Village was an agora of ideas and a petrie dish for growing discourse. Agora is Greek for open space used for free speech assemblies, markets, and a training grounds for small 'd' democracy formation. Politicon is an outgrowth of the wildly successful Comic-Con, hence the presence of a slew of graphic novelists in one section, in another political action groups and causes side by side. Tolerance for the mash up of competing narratives is what makes the United States of America so great and what this event is all about.
Relaxed U.S. Congressman Brad Sherman enjoying himself hailing from nearby Reseda in the San Fernando Valley. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins John Teasdale the smiling co-creator of, "The Contender," an innovative game that lets players debate like a politician, no improv skills or trivia knowledge required is used in AP high school history. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins
Lady Parts Justice, employs a ribald approach to reproductive rights. Their 'Golden Probe Awards,' skewering sexism and anti-choice extremism, will be presented live in NYC this Fall. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins
Left Wing Bling, talk about middle essence transformation. Jacqueline Nantier (l.) with her son the jewelry designer (r.) Photographs by Lewis H. Perkins The Latino Vote, "taco infused" stand up at the Nerdist Showroom at the back of a comic book store called Meltdown a welcomed unexpected place to see live performances. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins Grindr TV interviewer channeling Kellyanne Conway. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins Teen Cancer America booth posse. Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend of The Who are the driving force behind Teen Cancer America. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins
MSNBC provided welcomed iced coffee. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins.
Lots of knitting going on. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins.
Lots of reading materials above and below. Photograph by Lewis H. Perkins
2. Eye catching and provocative graphics. The Politicon graphics crew earned an A++.
First President of the U.S. George Washington with a cheeky mustache and off kilter Griffin. Not sure what it signifies though it is eye catching.
3. Anthony Atamanuik, star of Comedy Central's hit, "The President Show," did a half hour of amazing stand up reprising his role as Donald Trump before bringing out Bassem Youssef, the Egyptian cardiologist turned comedian for another stellar 30 minutes.
Anthony Atamaniuk take me to your leader. I'll have some of what you're having.
Bassem Youssef aka the Jon Stewart of the Middle East in the light blue shirt, the second from the right, discussing serious and important issues with a lighthearted approach whenever possible.
4. Civlized. is the brain child of publisher Derek Riedle and a new media player to watch.
5. Jena Freidman the warm up extraordinaire for Anthony Atamaniuk.
6. Greg Proops the best example of a male feminist for our times.
Censorship On Campus Panel for POLITICON 2017 featuring Evan Ryan, Ann Coulter, Greg Proops, Guy Benson, and Xeni Jardin
A Kumbaya moment between MSNBC's Richard Lui, moderating a Russia discussion between Neo-Con David Frum and Left Wing Liberal, Rob Reiner, in which middle ground was explored as opposed to the heckling inspired by Ann Coullter's supporters next door. Photo by Lewis H. Perkins
7. Roger Stone Republican stalwart and adult presence who departs from the current
administration's stance on legalization of marijuana and the ban of transgender persons in the military.
From Politicon: "The infamous Roger Stone– the one of a kind political mastermind with a Nixon tattoo between his shoulder blades, an unrepentant libertine whose brilliance, dirty tricks, and cajones helped get Trump elected and are transforming the Republican party." Moderated by Touré on July 30, 2017 at Politicon 2017 in Pasadena, CA.
Harry Shearer, either moderating a panel, being interviewed or doing a live broadcast of 'Le Show,' needs to be invited next year.
8. Ben Shapiro right wing phenom in a town hall style Q and A in which he requested audience members who did not agree with him to come to the head of the line to ask their questions . Very classy.
A meaner side of Mr. Shapiro came out in debate with Cenk Uygur. An open market for body parts for transplants is going too far, for me. Also why doesn't Mr. Shapiro like 'The Simpsons?'
You Might Also Like
Why We Really Love to Hate President Trump
Dario Natarelli | Tap Dance | 2016 National YoungArts Week
Tara Fass, LMFT #35078, is a licensed marriage and family therapist in Los Angeles, California. She treats adults and couples dealing with a broad range of issues from navigating the legacy of divorce in one's life, to the quarter life crisis and conscious aging. Together we attempt to make meaning [...]