We've all been there. Scrambling to perfect our hair and makeup right before a first date, and changing our minds several times about what outfit to wear. You only get one first impression, so it's natural that you want to achieve an attractive first date look.
It’s best not to overdo it with the hair and makeup, because the last thing you want is for it to seem like you're trying too hard to impress him. It's also important that you feel comfortable on a date - so the perfect first date look would not include that skin-tight leather dress that you can barely breathe in - let alone eat in. Here are 7 helpful tips for achieving that perfect first date look:
1. Less is more when it comes to your makeup. Achieving that natural beauty, where your beauty seems to be effortless, is the ideal look men seem to gravitate towards. Why? Because men often wonder what’s hiding under all that makeup, and they’ll know that this isn’t what you look like every day. They want to see the real you. Luckily, the natural look is easy to achieve when you keep your eye makeup simple - so try eyelash extensions to help you feel confident without all of that eyeliner and mascara. You should also go easy on the bronzer, and choose a subtle lipstick color that compliments your skin tone and looks natural - so no hot pink or bright red lipstick. Your lips actually look more kissable when you're wearing a softer color. Red lips can come across as a bit over-eager or aggressive on a first date, and if it smudges during your date it'll be very noticeable and awkward. I have a friend who was obsessed with wearing red lipstick on first dates, and she actually felt less confident without it on. However, after going to a dentist to perfect her smile with invisalign, she ended up feeling confident enough to lose the blood-red lipstick. It turns out she was simply over-compensating.
2. Less is not more when it comes to clothing. That's right, ladies. The 'less is more' rule is only for makeup - not for clothing. Don't wear that low-cut shirt or those daisy dukes. Showing too much skin is an example of blatantly trying too hard. It’s not classy and it’s a cheap way of getting validated by your date. Plus, if you wear something too tight, too revealing, or something you constantly have to adjust, you’ll just be a distraction the whole time - and not in a good way.
3. Save your fancy dresses for another time, and go for a casual and cute outfit instead. Speaking of clothing, don't overdo it and dress up too much on a first date. Some men may wonder what you’re compensating for with all of that fancy clothing, or they might judge your overly done-up look - assuming that you must be high maintenance. Most of the time, coming across as high maintenance will have you deemed less attractive than a casual and approachable look. There’s something incredibly sexy about the casual effortless look, when a woman chooses forgo the bells and whistles, and shows up with confidence as herself in a t-shirt and jeans. You'll be a lot more comfortable in casual clothing, and your comfort translates into you being a better date. Think of fancy clothing as a costume that hides the real you. When you think of it that way, you can see why men prefer that you keep it low-key on the first date, right?
4. Add a pop of color to your outfit, to show that you have sex appeal and personality. All black is boring, and I say this because I know how incredibly common it is for women to wear all black on a first date. If you absolutely have to wear all black, at least add a pop of color with a pair of red high heels. If you are going to add color to your outfit, science says that red is one of the sexiest colors a woman can wear. Check out these red high heels from Runway Passport which will be the perfect sexy addition to your casual yet chic date night outfit. Imagine those sexy red heels with a pair of skinny jeans and a soft white sweater. Can you say 'effortlessly sexy'?
5. Wear simple and delicate jewelry so that he's not distracted from your face. Natural makeup and a casual outfit pairs well with subtle jewelry, so keep your jewelry simple and classic. Wear small stud earrings that sparkle, rather than dramatic tassle earrings. This way, he's not distracted from gazing into your beautiful eyes. Your best bet would be something like these elegant gold earrings and this thin and delicate gold lariat necklace from Stella & Dot. Why gold? Because gold pieces will to blend in with your skin a bit more than silver will, sparkles a bit more, and this will add a feminine glow to your outfit. Dainty pieces also don’t come across as attention-seeking or loud pieces, so you’ll appear more casual, and therefore more attractive.
6. Get a flawless airbrush tan the night before your date. Bronzed, glowing skin always completes a look - especially since your skin is your best accessory. Beautiful skin can take you from 60 to 100 real quick. Plenty of women will maintain that they look better with a tan, and after getting a flawless glow with a spray tan or an airbrush tan, they suddenly feel less of a need for makeup. The self-tanner applied by your airbrush technician will perfect and even out your skin, hiding blemishes and creating a flawless look to your skin. Earlier, we discussed trying to wear minimal makeup, and perfecting your skin tone with self-tanner will help you wear less makeup, which helps you to look cleaner, fresher and younger-looking. Sometimes too much makeup has made my skin look dirty or made me look old, but an airbrush tan from my local tanning salon helped me ditch those old tricks and I've never looked better.
7. Wear your hair in natural waves or in a simple style. We've established that men love it when women look natural, so when it comes to hair, natural-looking waves are going to be a fantastic first date look. Wearing your hair half-up also creates that cute-but-sexy look, so have a look online at some half-up style ideas that look simple yet chic. Avoid the flashy, sparkly barrettes or headbands for the first date and keep it simple. When in doubt, just wear your hair down and don't put any sticky products in it. The Sleep Styler (one of the recent Shark Tank inventions) is a fantastic way to create natural-looking curls without any styling products, as they're just cool foam rollers that dry and curl your hair. Once you brush out the curls with your fingers, what's left is natural-looking waves and hair that isn't hard or sticky from product. It looks like you were just born this way.
Looking for more dating advice? Check out the brand new dating advice book 'Aren't You Glad You Read This?'
You Might Also Like
My ebook is FREE for today only :) Black Friday Deal!!
The Babe Report is a popular new advice column for millenials, reported by millenials. Get the inside scoop into the minds of both sexes with advice from men and women on dating, relationships, travel tips, wellness, fashion, beauty and more! Follow @the_babe_report on Instagram and @thebabereport [...]