6WeeksWithoutSocialMedia

celesteramos
over 1 year Orlando, FL, United States Story
6 Weeks Without Social Media

Hi Mogul!

I’m so happy to be here. Recently, about a week ago, I made a gradual return to social media after being completely off for about a month and a half. I cut Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat off my daily list of distractions, and am now only back exclusively on Twitter and Snapchat. My 6-week venture without social media was an incredible, uplifting journey, and I wish to share it with all you Mogulites today!

Back in February, I made a decision to seek therapy. I was constantly anxious, and feeling an overall down feeling that I couldn’t shake. I felt alone, scared, and overwhelmingly underappreciated. Seeking help was a big decision for me, and I have no regrets. Today, I can say I have taken control over my anxiety, and my situational depression has calmed down as I take the reign on my life and emotions. I was in my room one night, and made an impulsive decision to delete all my social media apps; I was spending so much time on them, taking away time from my schoolwork, my social life, and my overall mental health. Apps and social media can be so toxic, as one compares their life to someone else’s highlight reel.

The first day was very difficult; I won’t lie. I found myself checking random apps on my phone, like the world clock, to keep my fingers entertained as they tapped back and forth on my screen. However, as the days went on, I was more disconnected from my phone, and more connected with myself, and my life. I was having more conversation, I was more focused, I was sleeping more, and increasing my sleep quality. I was also allowing myself time to think, process, and listen more. My overall mental state flourished, and I was getting used to being in silence alone, which is important to me. I didn’t feel this pressure to keep up with so many people, and I had a realization that those who really wanted to reach out to me would, and not just using an “at” sign on Twitter. Looking back, I’m so happy I stepped away from social media. Social media isn’t something one needs to live. Many people may be connected on social media, but lack empathy, compassion, and real stimulating conversation that can only be had in the now, face-to-face. I look forward to doing this again soon; my connection with those around me grew, and I was able to put my phone down much more often, allowing me to look up more often, and realizing the beauty that surrounds me, but always failed to appreciate because my fingers were busy typing away into a black hole.

I encourage you to take a second, and disconnect from your online life, and connect with real life, and those who love you.

• Lauren D.
    Lauren D. Creative production student, certified dog enthusiast and Jedi knight.
    over 1 year ago New York, NY, United States

I've been thinking about doing this. I don't use social media that much, but still I feel like its interrupting my life when I could be using my time in other ways. Glad it worked out for you!!

• celesteramos
      over 1 year ago Orlando, FL, United States

@Lauren D. Hey Lauren! Even if you're not on social media that much, a cleanse can still be useful! Thank you. :)

• lizbethaparicio
    lizbethaparicio President at SASP Charter HS
    over 1 year ago Miami, FL, United States

I'm so glad that your social media cleanse was so beneficial for you! I might just look into taking a break myself. Thanks for sharing!

• celesteramos
      over 1 year ago Orlando, FL, United States

Hey girl! You totally should.

Hey girl! You totally should.

• Bethany Heinrich
    Bethany Heinrich Mogul Influencer
    over 1 year ago New York, NY, United States

It's so necessary. Otherwise you can miss out on what's happening in real life :-) I get the benefits of it, but there comes a point where you have to disconnect. All in moderation. Do you have a favorite social media platform @celesteramos ? Are you a big Facebook fan? Am curious to see what happens to it in the next few years

• celesteramos
      [deleted]
      over 1 year ago Orlando, FL, United States

[deleted]

[deleted]

• celesteramos
      over 1 year ago Orlando, FL, United States

@Bethany Heinrich Hey Bethany! My favorite would either be Twitter or Snapchat. I don't have Facebook! I'm curious, too. So much going on!

• Bethany Heinrich
        Bethany Heinrich Mogul Influencer
        over 1 year ago New York, NY, United States

cool! i still have to download snapchat. is it pretty user friendly?

cool! i still have to download snapchat. is it pretty user friendly?

I am a sophomore at the University of Central Florida, majoring in Health Sciences. My true passion lies in mental health awareness, being a self-love advocate, writing, music, and helping others. Mental Health and Feminism editor for SASP Chapter.

Moguls Interested in Somerset Academy Silver Palms