Become your best self with a community of real women around the world who have your back.

12thingsIlearnedworkingwithmillionaires

DianaZuluaga
DianaZuluaga CO-Founder at JET D'OR Global Private Jet Charter
over 3 years New York, NY, United States Story
12 things I learned working with millionaires

2 years ago, I founded a luxury travel company that specializes in renting private jets to the richest people in the world. Working with high-net-worth clients is both exciting and demanding. As the lead flight planner for my direct clients in our company, JET D’OR, I must always be prepared to have fast and sometimes uncomfortable conversations. It’s not always easy to say NO to a millionaire calling at 3am from Russia. He wants a plane now, but we can only get one ready in 4 hours.

One of the most surprising things I learned from chartering private jets is that, despite the elevated cost, most clients never require meetings in person. Our company headquarters are in New York and we use Teterboro private airport most of the time. I have had the privilege of meeting more than half my clients, but I have never met my 3 biggest clients in person. We have talked hundreds of times by phone and email, but we have never met face to face, usually due to scheduling conflicts. Regardless of that, they keep booking private jet charters with us worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. The trust and loyalty you can reach at this price level is incredible.

Some of our clients are the richest person in their home country. People generally assume so much about the personality and business approach of this type of individual. I want to share 12 things I have learned working with the 0.01% of the richest people in the world:

1. They are respectful of our time. They always arrive for their flights with plenty of time in advance. They are not “divas” and never make the pilots wait.
  2. They pay fast and in full. They round numbers. If a trip costs $9,800 dollars, they pay $10,000. They are generous with tips to pilots and flight attendants.
  3. They take the time to send thank you messages, no matter how busy they are.
  4. They take the time to send comments and feedback from their flight experiences. This information is priceless for us and helps us improve.
  5. They want us to be successful. They refer friends, family and partners to help our business grow.
  6. They don’t sweat the small stuff. They keep the big picture clear.
  7. They could order anything they want, but they always request very simple meals for their flights. Most times they don’t want alcohol, desserts or sweets. They never order lobster or champagne. Ever.
  8. They know a lot about private aviation and ask difficult questions. Most of them enjoy choosing their jet and planning their trips. They rarely have an assistant handle the private jet booking process. Discretion is a must.
  9. Millionaires also get anxious about impressing business partners, clients and family members.
  10. They develop relationships and value the invested time. They treat their close teams like family.
  11. They can plan a trip to a certain destination just to combat jet-lag. Their sleep time is non-negotiable.
  12. If something goes wrong or there are any flight challenges, you could lose them as clients, but they won’t humiliate you.

I love providing my clients with the greatest value for each of their flights. I am also passionate about success and building wealth. Working with the richest clients in the world has been the best school to learn to produce and maintain success. I am not generalizing; I realize there are difficult clients at all income levels. This post is about sharing my specific experience with most of my clients. I have been impressed by how simple and respectful they are. They behave pretty “normal” even when they can rent a jet for $100,000 dollars for a few hours. They have developed a sense of stability and priorities that is incredible to see. I learn from my clients every day and I love that my business gives me the opportunity to use my best talents for the service of such high achieving people. I am happy to be able to share these experiences with Mogul members and I look forward to learning from all of you.

• Tiffany Pham
    Tiffany Pham Founder & CEO, Mogul
    over 3 years ago New York, NY, USA

This is really impressive, Diana. Thank you for sharing this, and I'm excited to learn more from you. What you have built with JET D'OR is so commendable, and now your thoughts on your clients' actions too are highly insightful. Thank you again!

• DianaZuluaga
      DianaZuluaga CO-Founder at JET D'OR Global Private Jet Charter

Hi Tiffany! I hope you are doing well!! Many hugs from Madrid!! I am writing a new piece for women, here’s the twist: from the perspective of our husbands. Don’t you think we need to hear more from them about what’s it like to be married to strong and fierce ladies like we are?? :) I would love to share the 4 simple questions we are asking them, with the purpose of teaching single women to embrace their fierce instead of blending in! And therefore, attracting the right companion for our lives that will treasure and support our dreams. If you would like to support this article, please email me and I will send you the info. Thanks a lot! My email is [email protected]

• Tiffany Pham
        Tiffany Pham Founder & CEO, Mogul
        over 2 years ago New York, NY, USA

Yes! Would love to read this article! Will you be posting it on Mogul? www.onmogul.com/post

• DianaZuluaga
          DianaZuluaga CO-Founder at JET D'OR Global Private Jet Charter

Hey Tiffany, sorry for the back and forth! I wasn't clear enough. I meant, since you are a strong woman and a Founder as well, I would love to get the input from your hubby on what it's like to be married to a visionary woman leader. We already have answers by a few husbands of women entrepreneurs. It would be great to have your side too. Here are the 4 questions: 1. When you first met Tiffany, do you remember what stood out? What was it that made you pursue her? 2. In time, what about Tiffany made you feel: “I really want to marry this woman!" 3. What do you enjoy the most about being married to such an authentic leader for women? 4. What do you most admire about her? 1-2 traits and why. Dear Tiffany, this is a small but meaningful project to inspire women. However, I fully understand if you decide to pass. Thank you!! My email is [email protected]

• Edgina Desormeau
    Edgina Desormeau CEO/FOUNDER

Very insightful!

Very insightful!

eve

That is an incredible idea Diana! Thank you for sharing it with us. Could you let me know how you came about with that idea? Thank you!

• DianaZuluaga
      DianaZuluaga CO-Founder at JET D'OR Global Private Jet Charter

Hi Eve, after spending 6 years working in Public Service organizations, I realized my dedication and ambition were not a good match to low paying jobs that were mostly inefficient. I decided to leave that career behind and start from scratch doing something I was really good at and enjoyed (public speaking, selling, organizing travel), and something that had high growth potential (selling on commission to wealthy clients). This realization came after about 2 months at my parents' house seriously thinking, meditating, writing and being honest with myself. I read every possible personal development book available and decided who I wanted to be. I went back to New York and applied to many entry level jobs in the luxury travel industry. The first job I got was commission-only in a Private Jet firm. I was hooked. I learned all I could and after a few years, started my own company. Hope this helps! Diana

eve

Hi Diana, that is a fascinating and inspiring story! Thank you for sharing your journey with us and I found it really interesting how you took those 2 months off to meditate and think to yourself to decide who you wanted to become. Thanks again and I wish you all the best!! Eve

• Grika

Very good insights! Can you share how you come up if the idea for such business?

• DianaZuluaga
      DianaZuluaga CO-Founder at JET D'OR Global Private Jet Charter

• GL
    GL Founder & Mompreneur of MommieQueen and #ConnectedWomen
    over 2 years ago Malaysia, Asia Pacific

Thank you for sharing the experience Diana! This is so insightful and inspired. It's really gave us a deep thought on how to deal and handle ultra/ high net worth clients with most respectful manners mutually, by understanding their beliefs, lifestyle and expectation. You have built an incredible company successfully and I am looking forward to learn from you throughout the various life stages. As a co founder and busy working woman in your industry, how do you find the sense of peace and fulfillment in your daily life? Especially after achieving a huge success in your business,career and family?What will be the most difficult challenge or struggle that you have gone through as a businesswoman?

• DianaZuluaga
      DianaZuluaga CO-Founder at JET D'OR Global Private Jet Charter

Hi GL! Thanks for your comment. I had tons of challenges finding that peace and happiness after my company took off. I invite you read my newest post here on Mogul called: "Successful Women: We Give Up a Lot on Our Way to Success." In this piece I cover why I felt less happy than planned, and how I found my way back to peace and feeling on purpose. Actively finding ways to serve others was definitely the biggest step in feeling connected and fulfilled. I look forward to connecting with you! www.dianazuluaga.com

• GL
        GL Founder & Mompreneur of MommieQueen and #ConnectedWomen
        over 2 years ago Malaysia, Asia Pacific

Thank you for your time and reply. I have read the two articles that you shared via Mogul and it's very inspiring and motivating! Just landed on your personal platform and looking forward to stay in touch with you from there.

• GL
        GL Founder & Mompreneur of MommieQueen and #ConnectedWomen
        over 2 years ago Malaysia, Asia Pacific

• over 2 years ago

Leave me alone ! cheap nba 2k17 mt supplier on u4nba.com https://www.u4nba.com

Leave me alone ! cheap nba 2k17 mt supplier on u4nba.com https://www.u4nba.com

DianaZuluaga
CO-Founder at JET D'OR Global Private Jet Charter

I am Diana, 33, and I live between New York and Madrid. I travel the world while building my Global Private Jet Charter company (JET D'OR). I'm a writer/speaker about Wealth Mindset and I coach people about living with purpose. I Look forward to connecting with many of you!

Moguls Interested in Business