2 years ago, I founded a luxury travel company that specializes in renting private jets to the richest people in the world. Working with high-net-worth clients is both exciting and demanding. As the lead flight planner for my direct clients in our company, JET D’OR, I must always be prepared to have fast and sometimes uncomfortable conversations. It’s not always easy to say NO to a millionaire calling at 3am from Russia. He wants a plane now, but we can only get one ready in 4 hours.
One of the most surprising things I learned from chartering private jets is that, despite the elevated cost, most clients never require meetings in person. Our company headquarters are in New York and we use Teterboro private airport most of the time. I have had the privilege of meeting more than half my clients, but I have never met my 3 biggest clients in person. We have talked hundreds of times by phone and email, but we have never met face to face, usually due to scheduling conflicts. Regardless of that, they keep booking private jet charters with us worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. The trust and loyalty you can reach at this price level is incredible.
Some of our clients are the richest person in their home country. People generally assume so much about the personality and business approach of this type of individual. I want to share 12 things I have learned working with the 0.01% of the richest people in the world:
- They are respectful of our time. They always arrive for their flights with plenty of time in advance. They are not “divas” and never make the pilots wait.
- They pay fast and in full. They round numbers. If a trip costs $9,800 dollars, they pay $10,000. They are generous with tips to pilots and flight attendants.
- They take the time to send thank you messages, no matter how busy they are.
- They take the time to send comments and feedback from their flight experiences. This information is priceless for us and helps us improve.
- They want us to be successful. They refer friends, family and partners to help our business grow.
- They don’t sweat the small stuff. They keep the big picture clear.
- They could order anything they want, but they always request very simple meals for their flights. Most times they don’t want alcohol, desserts or sweets. They never order lobster or champagne. Ever.
- They know a lot about private aviation and ask difficult questions. Most of them enjoy choosing their jet and planning their trips. They rarely have an assistant handle the private jet booking process. Discretion is a must.
- Millionaires also get anxious about impressing business partners, clients and family members.
- They develop relationships and value the invested time. They treat their close teams like family.
- They can plan a trip to a certain destination just to combat jet-lag. Their sleep time is non-negotiable.
- If something goes wrong or there are any flight challenges, you could lose them as clients, but they won’t humiliate you.
I love providing my clients with the greatest value for each of their flights. I am also passionate about success and building wealth. Working with the richest clients in the world has been the best school to learn to produce and maintain success. I am not generalizing; I realize there are difficult clients at all income levels. This post is about sharing my specific experience with most of my clients. I have been impressed by how simple and respectful they are. They behave pretty “normal” even when they can rent a jet for $100,000 dollars for a few hours. They have developed a sense of stability and priorities that is incredible to see. I learn from my clients every day and I love that my business gives me the opportunity to use my best talents for the service of such high achieving people. I am happy to be able to share these experiences with Mogul members and I look forward to learning from all of you.
I am Diana, 33, and I live between New York and Madrid. I travel the world while building my Global Private Jet Charter company (JET D'OR). I'm a writer/speaker about Wealth Mindset and I coach people about living with purpose. I Look forward to connecting with many of you!