Ainsworth Pet Nutrition
Title: Key Account Manager III
Location: Phoenix, AZ or open to relocation in Phoenix, AZ
Reports To: Sales Director
Overall Focus: To assist in the delivery, and lead the execution of value-added services with nationally important customers that create enhanced, long term relationships and increase customer equity. Develop and mentor assigned employees
FLSA Designation: Salary Exempt
Salary Grade: Level: 17
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES and ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
· Develop and execute customer strategic plans, which achieve the strategies, goals, and objectives for both Ainsworth and the customer.
o Deliver profit and volume objectives for assigned customer
o Forecast items, sales and profits for each assigned customer.
o Maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of market funds.
o Accountable for strategic and tactical operations at the customer level.
· Share insight into data with customers to drive business.
o Provide support and act as a resource to customers to enhance decision making and to maximize customer equity.
· Develop and deliver fact based presentations that achieve Ainsworth’s objectives relative to : Distribution/Merchandising/Pricing/Shelving
· Set up annual “Top to Top” meetings with the accounts that continue to show, and are committed to sales growth.
· Develop and communicate customer insight for assigned customers to Vice President of Sales.
· Develop and mentor assigned employees
· Complete special projects as assigned
· Strategic Ability/Planning
· Understanding of key business drivers
· Understanding the 5P’s – Product mix, Price, Position, Promotion, Procurement.
· Ability to ask the right questions in order to stimulate a greater understanding of the customer opportunity.
· Ability to picture a desired result or outcome.
· Category Expertise
· Understand category performance measurements and consumer and customer insights.
· Develops and facilitates understanding with customer. Translates insight into action.
· Negotiation Skills
· Understands and negotiates business strategies.
· Develops mutual win-win for both parties, using creative problem solving.
· Strong influencing skills, both internally and externally
· Fact Based Selling
· Ability to apply data to account plans
· Links data applications to the customer and category.
· Positively impacts the category/customer and business unit
· Understands cash flow analysis and recommendations programs that drive volume and profit.
· Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
· Assumes responsibility for own personal development and continuous learning.
· Keeps abreast on new technology, methods and regulations related to responsibilities
· Practices customer intimacy with internal and external customers in day to day responsibilities
· Lives by the Ainsworth values
(Knowledge and skills necessary to meet organizational objectives)
Education/Training: Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communication or related field preferred
Experience: Must have 5-8 years’ experience selling consumer packaged goods retailers including major pet specialty channel retailers
Location: Phoenix, AZ or open to relocation in Phoenix, AZ
(Abilities required of all positions)
o Ability to identify key issues and relationships based on information being communicated by a variety of resources
o Making decisions based on logical assumptions combined with factual information while keeping the organizational values and goals in mind
o An understanding of the love for pets and the importance of the pet/pet parent relationship
o Enduring energy and engagement in the Ainsworth Pet Nutrition culture
o Be a brand and company evangelist
o Working and communicating appropriately and effectively across roles and departments
o Understanding and working towards the long term goals of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition as a unified force
· Customer Intimate
o Understanding and exceeding the customer's needs and expectations, both externally and internally
o Ability to use, understand, and learn from unreserved, honest conversations with other individuals, while still respecting all those involved in the dialogue
o Open, forthright communication that stimulates debate and new ideas amongst a group, as well as with yourself
o Does what they say they are going to do
o Instills trust through actions and behaviors
· Change Agent
o Can adjust to a new environment quickly
o Accepts change as a way of life and works proactively to adapt
JOB- RELATED COMPETENCIES
(Abilities required of this position)
· Selling as an attitude
o Relentlessly thinking about how to engage with customer to support you ; win
· Being a brand ambassador
o Know the brands, extension of brand team
o Engaged with Brand Team-support, $
· Pre-sell, pre-sell, pre-sell
o Engage with people outside of meeting
o Putting customer in a place of discomfort
· Being an objective, non-self-servicing deliverer of insight
· Varied work week, may include evenings and/or weekends. Overnight travel required.
· Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
· Interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others.
· Detail oriented and able to work in a fast paced environment.
· Ability to solve common problems experienced in a retail environment.
· Selling skills.
· Computer skills: Excel, Power Point, Word, Access and Outlook
· Knowledge of APN brands and products and nutrition.
· Knowledge of retail customer operations trade as to their methods of doing business and making decisions.
· Ability to analyze financial, inventory, retail conditions and/or other data to determine appropriate selling approach.
· Ability to learn and utilize customer technology in everyday job functions.
· Ability to manage tasks in a time conscious manner achieving coverage goals.
· Ability to manage within a financial budget.
· Strong self-management skills
· Ability to complete daily procedures and responsibilities without direct supervision
· Willing to Relocate
· High level of creative skills in order to present Ainsworth Pet Nutrition products and programs that will achieve agreed upon merchandising/distribution/sales objectives.
· Ability to interpret marketing and sales data and use the data effectively to achieve merchandising/distribution/sales goals.
(Necessary to perform essential functions of job with or without an accommodation)
Ability to regularly function in a typical office environment and operate related equipment – computer, copier, telephone, etc., as well as, low risk manufacturing environment – able to observe and get around equipment, using PPE, if required.
Ability to travel by plane, car or other ground transportation on a regular basis. Overnight travel is required.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
Ainsworth Pet Nutrition is a fifth generation, primarily family-owned and operated company named after one of the company founders, George Ainsworth Lang. The company is focused entirely on pets, and has a stated goal of changing the way consumers shop for Super Premium pet food. The company makes [...]