Share Knowledge With Women Worldwide

Connect, converse, and share knowledge with millions of women across 196 countries and 34,470 cities.

Post Now

What'sYourMoneyWord?

EmpowermentGuru
EmpowermentGuru Writer & Storyteller Trainer
over 3 years Scottsdale, AZ, United States Story
What's Your Money Word?

Recently, I found myself the middle of a conversation around money and its connection to power.

I knew I disagreed with the connection but during the conversation itself, I didn’t know why.

In meditation yesterday I set the intention to get clear on the reason I so strongly disagree with associating money with power.

Here’s what I got:

When Severson Sisters caught on fire in 2012, I took off running at a pace I had never experienced before. And the more demand we faced, the more pressure I faced. And the faster I ran, the more depleted I became. And the more exhausted I became, the harder I had to fight to stay above water.

In hindsight, I kept on running as fast as I could for as long as I could to prevent Severson Sisters from failing.

And money had everything to do with all of that.

I launched Severson Sisters during a time when bullying and female empowerment were in the national spotlight. We were expected to change the world for the greater good of girls growing up today with or without money.

And I was going to do just that with every cent I found.

Burn out was inevitable and I finally experienced it in the summer of 2013. When I finally accepted my burn out in 2013 it was days after a $5,000 grant came through. The majority of the money had to go to Severson Sisters because we were unable to pay our Board of Directors insurance. The money should have come to me but I gave it to Severson Sisters because not paying it would mean it failed. Not paying that one bill off meant, in my mind, that I failed.

I took off for Wisconsin the next day and didn't come back for two months. I experienced a range of emotional flavors during my burn out recovery and one related to money kept coming up. I was able to see that I was financially suffocating. I was carrying on the financial burden of Severson Sisters by myself. Rather than take care of my own needs I kept on fighting to find ways or Severson Sisters to secure funds.

Financial suffocation is connected to my burn out. The idea of connecting money to power is toxic to me based on my experience and burn out journey.

When I let money have power over me, I failed myself. Had I not accepted my own burn out when I did, I’m certain I would have failed Severson Sisters.

We learn our lessons when we’re able to absorb them. And when I got clear on my personal worth, I found myself again. And when I claimed my own personal worth in the fall of 2013, everything in life flowed – including financial support for Severson Sisters.

I'll let money have power over me these days for just moments in time when I’ve lost my mind! And it takes me a simple conversation with a trusted friend to get my head on straight again.

Yesterday during meditation, I asked for a word I can connect to money. I got the word ‘Fun!’

The word ‘fun’ fits me and my energy. I get to do fun things in the world with money. It flows to me and through me. I have fun with it and because of it.

Severson Sisters is a playful brand and we always have fun so claiming our money as ‘fun’ fits Severson Sisters too.

What’s your money word?

Does it have power over you or is it a tool for you to better the world with?

• Kimberly

Very cool piece of advice! Glad that I did miss it in the end!

Very cool piece of advice! Glad that I did miss it in the end!

• Rebecca

Unbelievably good advice!

Unbelievably good advice!

• Josephine S.

Yes, it is very nice! I will send this to some of my friends' daughters!

Yes, it is very nice! I will send this to some of my friends' daughters!

Ana

I would like to know how long it will take her to overcome this and learn from it?

• EmpowermentGuru
    EmpowermentGuru Writer & Storyteller Trainer
    over 3 years ago Scottsdale, AZ, United States

Hi everyone! Thanks for the notes. I've received a few emails regarding this lesson and how long it took me to learn. I took two months in the summer of 2013 to recover from burn out. I run a non profit and was able to put a lot of the work on to board members while I recovered. When I came back to work in August of 2013 I made sure I was very clear to my board of director members that my relationship to money would be different moving forward. As the leader of the business, it was up to me to create a healthy relationship with money personally. When I did that for myself our relationship to money professionally flourished. It took me two months to learn how to flip my mindset around money. I focused on it and dedicated my time to recovering. I've been practicing that lesson every day for the last 1.5 years and have a much healthier life in all areas of life. Hope that helps! Carrie

Ana

How big is your organization now?

How big is your organization now?

EmpowermentGuru
Writer & Storyteller Trainer

Carrie Severson is an entrepreneur and storyteller trainer who teaches leaders how to step into their stories and share their lessons. She writes about love, health, burnout, harmony and purpose for national media outlets. She can often times be found on a stage sharing stories. You can always find [...]

Moguls Interested in Business