Share Knowledge With Women Worldwide

Connect, converse, and share knowledge with millions of women across 196 countries and 34,470 cities.

Post Now

HandlingRejectionLikeTheBadassYouAre

Colleen Woodward
over 2 years New York, NY, United States Story
Handling Rejection Like The Badass You Are

Rejection: The dismissing or refusing of a proposal or idea, etc.

We've all experienced it. Whether you've gotten rejected by that guy you've been staring at in class all semester, by the school of your dreams, or from that job where you thought you nailed the interview-it's bound to happen again and again throughout our lives.

But what I believe matters most in the face of rejections is how we choose to handle it. Of course it's normal to get angry, cry, etc.-but do you let it affect everything you do from there on out? Do you let this rejection of something you thought was so important determine the rest of your life? Do you give up simply because you got rejected? If you've answered 'Yes' to one or more of these questions-keep reading, we have some work to do.

Last year, I applied to get my masters degree in London. It was the only thing I wanted. I wanted to be in England, I wanted to pursue my degree further, and I had my entire year planned out based on getting into this program. Then low and behold, I got turned down. I cried, a lot. This was all I wanted. This was where I was supposed to be. How could I get rejected? I fail at everything. I'm never good enough (These were the things that I kept telling myself and everyone who tried to comfort me over the rejection).

Eventually, I pulled myself out of my long lasting pity party, and made a new plan. Was the rejection hurtful? Of course. I wanted to be in London more than anything, and more I felt a serious pull to be there for some reason. However, now almost a year and a half later I am so grateful for that rejection letter. Weird, I know. But had I gone I would have gotten my masters in a field I am no longer currently pursuing  (which has nothing to do with not getting into the program mind you), I moved myself to NYC, I got to meet my awesome boyfriend, and have had so many amazing experiences and opportunities since. (And I'm going on a trip to London in a few months, so there rejection letter!)

My point? That sometimes that phrase, "Everything happens for a reason" is actually really accurate. Have I been rejected from things since then? Most definitely. But now, I have learned to handle it a bit better. Of course I may still shed a tear or two (I'm a cryer I can't help it), but I don't let it stop me anymore. I don't say, "I should give up" just because of that one failure. And neither should you. Because if that guy doesn't want to go out with you, there's someone better waiting for you. If you didn't get hired by that job you wanted so badly, just wait and keep working-there will be a better one around the corner.

Never stop working towards your goal, never stop reaching for your dreams. Everyone is going to fail at something. But it is all about walking out of it with grace, strength, and a good attitude.

Rejection wants to bring you down, don't let it-let it inspire you to be the best you can be.

• Ruthie Bagay
    Ruthie Bagay ig: @ruchiebags
    over 2 years ago Philippines

Nice story, Colleen! Keep it up! :)

Nice story, Colleen! Keep it up! :)

• Lucía Carrillo

Thank you, seriously. It's hard to keep trying sometimes...but this is inspiring.

• Naina Dwivedi
    Naina Dwivedi "In the end we only regret the chances we don't take"
    over 2 years ago India

Well said...!

Well said...!

• Demi Chu
    Demi Chu n. Graphophile; Believer of the Tiny White Host
    over 2 years ago Philippines

This is amazing! "Don't let rejection get the best of you. Take your day to have a pity party, and then stand up like the badass you know you are and move on to a new solution."

• dewitjin
    over 2 years ago Canada

Be proactive. Rejection hurts less when I have stuff to do. For example, instead of applying to only one dream job, apply for a couple and if you get rejected from one, you won't have too much time to be sad because you have to prep for the other interviews. Be proactive in your life and don't wait for anybody to give you anything.

• Demi Chu
    Demi Chu n. Graphophile; Believer of the Tiny White Host
    over 2 years ago Philippines

• Demi Chu
    Demi Chu n. Graphophile; Believer of the Tiny White Host
    over 2 years ago Philippines

Colleen is a twenty-four year old Freelance writer in NYC who enjoys writing about her day to day life epiphanies (which hopefully help others around her), watching an entire Netflix series in one sitting, and gushing over her really cute dogs. Follow her blog @ the link below:

Moguls Interested in Life & Inspiration