Art Wynwood, the premier winter contemporary and modern art fair, presented by Art Miami,returned for its eighth edition from Thursday, February 14th through Monday, February 18th, 2019.
Attendance was up year on year by 11% as the fair welcomed more than 28,500 affluent and culturally savvy art aficionados throughout Presidents Day weekend who acquiredthe finest work from emerging, mid-career and blue-chip contemporary, modern and post-war artists, including a dynamic array of, pop surrealism, street art, performance art and street art murals.
“Presidents Day weekend is the busiest weekend in South Florida and for its eighth edition, and moving forward, Art Wynwood will share the prestigious waterfront property of One Herald Plaza with the Miami Yacht Show. The synergy of two luxury lifestyle events proved to be a winning combination as our combined well-heeled audiences created increased foot traffic and demand among a diverse group of attendees for our world-class art. We will continue to grow the quality and demand for blue-chip contemporary and modern art side by side with the continuing evolution, growth and importance of Miami as a destination for the arts” stated Fair Director and Partner, Nick Korniloff.
The fair welcomed more than 5,000 gueststo the VIP Preview on Thursday, February 14th, which benefited the Institute of Contemporary Art, Miami, including Ron Englishand his wifeTarssa English, Priscilla andEric Allouche, Frances and Jeffrey Fisher, Tommy Pace, Deputy Director, ICAandCourtney Casci,Director of Development, ICA. Throughout the fair, prominent figures in entertainment, sport, music, business and culture viewed the impressive selection of works by 300 artists, represented by 65 international galleries from more than a dozen countries, including Adriana Lima, Linda and Kevin O’Leary, Leonard Latchman, Amanda Petrovic, Candice Petrovic, David Plastino, Janet Goldman, Lisa and William McCue, Jim and Whitney Crane, and Yasemin Kücükkaya, The Vice Consul General of Turkey in Miami, in addition to buyers from the Hearst Castle Art Collection.
The high-quality presentation of artwork ensured that extremely sought-after offerings included pieces by Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, Gerhard Richter, Sigmar Polke, Anish Kapoor, David Hockney, Roy Lichtenstein, Josef Albers, Andy Warhol, Pablo Picasso, Joan Miró, Ed Ruscha, Jonas Wood, Carlos Cruz-Diaz, Fernando Botero, Sam Francis, Victor Vasarely, Shepard Fairey, RETNA, Swoon, and Kenny Scharf, with many galleries reporting significant sales throughout the weekend.
Cernuda Arteplaced Carnival Sorcerer, 1945 by René Portocarrero, breaking a record for the artist’s sales figures at $460,000. They also placed lithographs by Wifredo Lam, including aset of six titled The Vertical View #XX/XX,1973 and Manner of Speaking, 1982 from Lam’s Annunciationseries. They also placed Young Women with Umbrella and Cat, 1940 by Víctor Manuel García and Peasants, 1942by Mario Carreño. Ramón Cernuda, Director, Cernuda Arte, comments, “This was a great fair. Art Wynwood was a resounding success. The presence of the South Florida art public, plus the visitors from the boat and yacht shows made it a dynamic event. This fair was the first time ever that we surpassed the one-million-dollar sales barrier. Fantastic results. Thank you.”
On Friday, February 15th, artist Ron English was honored with the fifth annual Art Wynwood Tony Goldman Lifetime Artistic Achievement Awardby Art Miami, in partnership with Wynwood Walls, at a four-course dinner with wine pairings at the elegant Boulud Sud.The award was presented by Nick Korniloff, Director, Art Wynwood, Jessica Goldman Srebnick, CEO, Goldman Global Arts, and The Goldman Family. The Award acknowledges individuals in art whose careers have changed the industry. A portrait of Ron English by English-born and Brooklyn-based artist David Hollier, represented by New Apostle Gallery, was presented to the artist during the dinner. The portrait is comprised of text taken from an interview English conducted. English commented, “I was incredibly honored to be recognized with the 2019 Art Wynwood Tony Goldman Lifetime Artistic Achievement Award. I have known and admired the Goldman family since the day Tony came into my life and changed it forever. The Wynwood project has enhanced our culture and touched millions of lives. I am so proud to be a part of it. Art Wynwood is bursting with energy and interest in Miami, teeming with engaged patrons of art. Nick Korniloff and his team make it seem so effortless, elegant and fun.”
Fair highlights Included:
- Long-Sharp Gallery presented Visible Noise 3, a mixed media sculpture and LED video wall, by Jason Myers at theentrance to Art Wynwood that explored the encroaching element of the digital world into the human experience. Myers was present at the gallery’s booth throughout the fair. They also presented prints by Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol that were exhibited for the first time since being created by the artists. Each are from the respective artists' estates and have never been privately owned. The Warhol was from the “Love” series, and the Lichtenstein was Untitled Head, 1990. Warhol's portrait of Kareem Abdul-Jabbarwas also presented, as were works by Pablo Picasso, Jean-Michel Basquiatand KeithHaring.
- New Apostle Galleryhosted the performance artist Toy Toyfor the duration of the fair as she put on daily performances and engaged with enraptured crowds. In one piece, Toy examined the sliding states of the body and how it related to personhood and objecthood. In another, she asked the viewer to reflect on their role in migration and hybridity.
ARCHEUS / POST-MODERN showcased Untitled, 2006 by Anish Kapoor. The work is signed and dated and is valued at $1,250,000.
- Steidel Fine Art presented the highly sought-after Gummy Obsession by Kevin Champeny, who has created pieces for Warner Brothers, Disney, Lenox, Patron Tequila, Belvedere Vodka, Calvin Klein, Polo and DKNY.
- GRØSS MagazinepresentedALL-AMERICXNby Lando Griffin- a collection of work that highlights the historical and socio-cultural contribution animation has played in creating racial barriers.
- Artsy.net is the Official Online Partner of Art Wynwood. Art enthusiasts can use Artsy to browse exhibitor booths, make inquiries on available art works, and access fair information online via Artsy.net and the Artsy app for iPhone & iPad. artsy.net
- JW Marriott Marquis Miami & Hotel Beaux Arts Miami – The Official Luxury Hotels of Art Miami hosted a special installation in their lobby highlighting works from participating Art Wynwood galleries from around the world. Heather Gaudio Fine Art presentedRosso Corsa,2018 by John Clement andLancelot, 2018 by Martin Kline. Wynwood 28 | Art Gallery presented Gift of Heaven, 2014 by Pablo Contrisciani, DISFRACES MANOLO, 2013 byNataliaSanchez Valdemoros,El Bailongo, 2015 by Mario Segundo Perez, and Humo Celeste,2017 by Juan del Balo. Tanya Baxter Contemporary presented four works by Gardani including Kate Moss my Muse, 2016, Kate Moss Future, 2016, Marilyn Premiere, 2017 and Chanel Paris Parfum, 2017.
- ArtRageous Kids Center – Organized by the Miami Children’s Museum, the ArtRageous Kids Center provided hands-on, interactive art discovery projects for children aged 4 – 12 years during fair hours. Activity stations focused on the visual art forms, such as ceramics, painting, sculpting and printmaking. Art Wynwood hosted multiple curated brunches and intimate cocktail receptions in the VIP lounge, each followed by private tours, for multiple museum groups and professionals throughout the weekend.
The annual Presidents Day Weekend fair bringsa major contemporary art fair back to Miami for serious collectors and budding art enthusiasts to discover and acquire some of the most important works of the 20th and 21st centuries. In its prime location, nestled between the Venetian Causeway and MacArthur Causeway, just east of Biscayne Boulevard, Art Wynwood offers an unprecedented level of convenience to and from Miami Beach, while being located in the heart of the cultural epicenter of Miami. This year, with the world-renowned Miami Yacht Show debuting alongside Art Wynwood at the One Herald Plaza location, VIP Preview ticket holders were provided complimentary admission to the Miami Yacht Show.
BENEFACTORS, SPONSORS & PARTNERS
The 2019 VIP Preview Benefactor was the INSTITUTE OF CONTEMPORARY ART, MIAMI (ICA MIAMI).The 2019 Sponsors and PartnerswereArtsy.net, JW Marriott Marquis Miami and Hotel Beaux Arts Miami, Moët & Chandon, Goldman Global Arts, Wynwood Walls, Miami Yacht Show, Boulud Sud,Spuntino Catering, Resorts World Bimini Bahamas Resort + Casino, GRØSS Magazine, Tito’s Handmade Vodka, La CroixSparkling Water, Concrete Beach Brewery, FIU Jewish Museum of Florida, Coral Gables Museum, Perez Art Museum Miami,The Bass, Art Districts, Miami Children’s Museum, MOCA - Museum of Contemporary Art of North Miami, NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale,Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, HistoryMiami Museum, MODERN LUXURY Miami, BlouinArt Info, TheMiami Herald, El Nuevo, Selecta, Around Town, Turon Travel, Venü, Bakehouse Art Complex, Harvard BusinessSchool Club of South Florida,Tucciand Bourlet Art Logistics.