Nowadays, heating pad is a product that many people all over the world are using. Some people use it to warm their bodies on cold days, the others use heating pad as a method to relieve the pain.
If you have never used heating pad, you may wonder about this product. What can heating pad do? Does it really work in relieving pain? Read the post to get more details.
What Is Heating Pad?
Heating pad is the product that can manage the pain of body’s parts by warming them. There are 2 popular heating pads which are electric pad and chemical pad.
- Electric pads are used dry on the skin. These pads need electricity to work. The temperature of electric pads can up to 180oF, which can make the user’s skin dry. And we need to be careful when using it.
- Chemical pads are the products consisting of a bag full of liquid (water, salt, and chemicals). They can be reused by putting in boiling water. The time of boiling is about 10-15 minutes, and the pad will cool down after using.
No matter the pad you choose, safety is the most important you need to keep in mind.
What Can Heating Pad Do and Does It Really Work?
Uses of Heating Pad
The main use of heating pad is relieving the pain. It can relieve many pains of the body and other symptoms which are:
- Flatulence, indigestion
- Stomach pain, abdominal pain
- Shoulder pain and neck pain
- Back pain
- Muscle aches
- Keep warm
Does Heating Pad Work Effectively?
You just have seen what heating pad can do, but does it really work to manage the pain in an effective way? Take a look.
Overworked muscles suffer from a chemical called acid lactic. This acid is accumulated when the muscles are subjected to a lot of force and lack of oxygen. By reducing the blood flow to the affected part, acid lactic builds up and causes muscle pain. Heat compress will help re-circulate blood and speed up the acid lactic excretion of the muscle.
Heat compress is the best solution for chronic pain. Chronic pain is a recurrent type of pain.
Heat can boost the blood level, stimulate excretion and also relax muscles to relieve pain. If you have a continuous injury, you should apply heat before exercising. Applying heat after exercise can exacerbate existing pain.
Therefore, heating pad is the most convenient way to help users reduce the pain. Moreover, it’s safe. You just need to plug in or place the pad in boiling water for few minutes, depend on the kind of heating pad you use.
By applying hot compresses to the affected part, you will feel better since the muscles are relaxed, and the pain will be reduced. If you have a wide part pain or a whole body aches, you should use extra-large heating pads or the full body heating pad, as they may work more quickly.
Things to take note
When using heating pad, here are few things that you need to remember:
- Do not use heating pad when having any of these signs: Unspecified abdominal pain, appendicitis, bleeding wounds, severe intoxication or cases of hemorrhage.
- Avoid direct contact with other heat devices, as it may be dangerous.
- Avoid using full body heating pad for long periods of time.
- Do not use the pad if it’s too hot since you can be burned.
- Do not use it regularly if the pain isn’t any better.
- Keep out of reach of children.
There are thousands of kinds of heating pad on the market. You should choose the most suitable product for yourself. And remember this, using heating pad is a safe method to help manage the pain. However, it’s just a temporary solution. You should not use it for a long time since it may be counterproductive, which means the pain can become worse.
Moreover, if you have a long-lasting pain, you should see a doctor to have a treatment than using the heating pad, because it can’t take the place of medicine.
Lastly, thank you for reading the whole post. Hope it helps you. If you have any questions, feel free to leave comments in the box below. Many thanks!