PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Toolroom Machinist is responsible for the set-up and operation of manual and CNC machine tools such as, Lathes, Mills, Drill Presses, O.D. & Surface Grinders, Saws, and must be able to perform Heat Treating functions of common tool steels.
- Our Toolrooms are learning environments where sharing knowledge is valued and expected from every employee.
- Set-up and operation of 3 & 4-Axis CNC machinery such as, Lathes, Machining Centers, Wire EDM, and Broach Grinders to machine metallic and nonmetallic workpieces.
- Die set-up and prep, use of all types of micrometers, caliper, test-indicators, and edge-finders.
- Read blueprints/production drawings and job orders for product specifications.
- Performs loading of cutting tools and CNC offsets, indicate workpiece, and establish Work offsets/part origin.
- Modify and create CNC programs at the machine as needed / performs entire set-ups in the cell.
- Perform critical measuring and inspection of the work produced to ensure quality of close tolerance procedures.
- Work with Lead and/or Supervisor on scheduling work to machines and perform daily, weekly, and monthly TPM.
- Follow 5s program daily and maintain a safe, clean, and organized work area.
- Communicate with Team Lead and/or Supervisor and follow cell priorities.
- Follow all safety guidelines including proper PPE and situational awareness.
- HS Diploma/GED Equivalent
- Vocational Trade School or equivalent preferred
Work Experience Required:
- 5+ years prior experience in a manufacturing facility
- 3+ years of demonstrated CNC machining experience, programming preferred
Skills & Knowledge Required:
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend work instructions, short correspondence and memos
- Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure including whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Must be able to compute geometry and trigonometry and set-up a Sine Bar or Sine Plate.
- Computer proficiency including use of Microsoft Office
Additional Traits and Competencies:
- Problem Solving
- Desire to learn and share knowledge
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, and use hands
- Required to lift and/or move 10 lbs. regularly and up to 33 lbs. occasional
- Use of vision including peripheral, color, distance, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, strong fumes and loud noises
- Occasionally exposed to extreme temperatures
Since 1843, we’ve set the standard for excellence in everything we do. No company on earth has a stronger or more compelling history of delivering the hardworking, innovative, powerful tools that help professionals around the world build, repair, and protect the world’s most valuable objects.