The MongoDB Documentation team is a diverse group of writers and engineers who develop and maintain the documentation for the MongoDB Product family. Our goal is to help our readers successfully use MongoDB products by providing outstanding documentation. The MongoDB Documentation team is a part of the MongoDB Engineering organization and is tightly integrated with the engineering teams responsible for each product.
The Server Documentation Team is responsible for the MongoDB Server and its related tools across multiple versions of the product. We regularly tackle topics such as the server API, backups and restoration, creating deployments with enterprise-grade security, and managing high availability and scalability in MongoDB clusters.
You will use your writing and technical skills to write clear and consistent reference documentation and tutorials on high-complexity features. You will write for experienced users and those new to MongoDB. Your work will support a large global community of MongoDB users.
Candidates must have 5+ years of technical writing experience in the software industry. Beyond industry experience, we are looking for someone who has:
- Experience writing technical documentation from scratch
- Experience with distributed systems and server architecture
- Strong critical reading and writing fundamentals
- Experience with database technologies (NoSQL or RDBMS, MVCC)
- Comfortable with developing documentation using markup languages (e.g., reStructured Text, Markdown) and site generators (e.g., Sphinx, Jekyll, Hugo)
- Experienced with testing and validating documentable features and concepts
- Advocate for users in everything you write.
- Work with technical and non-technical teams to meet the documentation needs of our users.
- Research highly complex product features and validate with diligent testing.
- Produce technically accurate and well-written documentation.
- Contribute feedback to the team, through copy review and planning discussions.
In 3 months:
- You'll be comfortable with our toolchain and writing style.
- You can close out small to medium complexity tickets.
- You're getting to know our server engineers and are getting comfortable with participating in intra and inter team discussions.
- You've completed the required technical training and courses required for MongoDB Engineering.
In 6 months:
- You are getting comfortable doing deep dives into database architecture and technology as part of feature documentation
- You've got a working knowledge of the server and know who to follow up with when you need to learn more.
- You've adapted to our style of writing and your work has minimal grammar, syntax, or spelling errors.
You're comfortable reviewing the work of your peers and learning from it.
In 12 months:
- You're creating consistently high quality documentation for entire feature sets, complex tutorials, and high level concepts
- You know how much work you can manage and are contributing at a healthy pace.
- You provide quality copy and technical reviews for your team members.
- You and your manager have discussed your career trajectory and growth opportunities.