The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $84B+ by 2022!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the fastest-growing database on the planet, and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Technical Revenue Manager is a visible role on the Controller team, reporting to the Senior Revenue Manager, and responsible for a number of ad hoc and ongoing project work. As a Manager, you will have a strong mastery of current (606) US GAAP and related technical accounting pronouncements, and must possess strong analytical skills with a high degree of attention to detail. The right candidate must also be process-oriented in order to identify the need for process and control changes and be able to work cross-functionally to drive and influence these changes. A successful candidate will be a thought-leader with a proven record of leading process transformation initiatives and delivering results to trusted partners across the entire enterprise. To be successful, this candidate must have the ability to adapt quickly and operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment and align well with MongoDB’s core values.
This is a great opportunity to join and grow with a strong accounting team at a high growth, unicorn company!
The Revenue team is an extremely visible, high-performing team, ultimately responsible for accurate financial reporting of revenue. This will entail managing the monthly close, contract negotiation, determining appropriate accounting treatment for new product offerings and preparing various technical accounting memos. Additionally, this team is responsible for designing and maintaining controls over reporting of revenue and assisting in quarterly forecasting activities for revenue and billings. This role will report directly to the Senior Revenue Manager.
Our ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of experience in revenue accounting with direct experience in developing revenue policies and arguments for revenue accounting. In addition to accounting close activities, this role will work outside the normal close process to drive overarching analyses and conclusions on various topics, including calculations and development of SSP’s for revenue recognition purposes. We expect this person to have an entrepreneurial spirit in that they are relentless in their efforts to “get-stuff-done”. This person needs to be able to independently identify the appropriate stakeholders in the organization and manage them for desired outcomes. The right candidate will have several years of experience in project management and stakeholder engagement. As MongoDB is a fast-growing company, the candidate must be comfortable with adapting to change and pivoting strategies. The ability to drive projects to 100% completion is a must-have skill. The ability to articulate complex topics to a wide array of audiences will also be an essential skill.
- Perform and assist in the performance of technical accounting research, collaborating with internal business partners and suggesting strategies under US GAAP for structuring complex revenue transactions
- Assist in the evaluation, application and implementation of current and future technical accounting standards to current and future business activities
- Directly support the Revenue team as a Subject Matter Expert to educate senior leaders across the Company on revenue standards and rationales for revenue accounting conclusions
- Work effectively with external auditors
- Creation of technical accounting memorandums
- Establish and implement global accounting policies and practices to ensure compliance with US GAAP
- Assist in the creation, refinement and ongoing maintenance of process and controls documentation around internal controls over revenue accounting
- Work with FP&A to forecast revenue impact of policy changes
- Expert excel skills to perform various analyses
- Assist in other ad hoc project work as required
The Technical Revenue Manager will be successful in this role when they can execute the following strategic tasks/responsibilities:
- In 3 months, you’ll have performed various technical revenue analyses which also entails driving them through external audit review. In 6 months, you’ll have established a clear process for the team to update technical revenue topics. In 12 months, you’ll have become the finance-wide expert in technical revenue matters. As the Company continues to grow, this role will have a critical responsibility to help understand and strategize the financial statement impact of new products.
- 12 months and beyond, this role will:
- Maintain a 2-year revenue accounting roadmap
- Provide the Revenue team (internal) training for new accounting pronouncements and interpretative analysis of the guidance therein.
- Collect and analyze feedback from both internal and external sources in an effort to enhance the team’s understanding of common practices
- Provide an unparalleled customer experience by driving fast, accurate responses and maintain stellar technical documentation