The Social Media Manager for King Features will join an entrepreneurial team that is building a portfolio of world-class pop culture brand franchises targeting a variety of fanbases and audience segments. Property franchises include Popeye, Betty Boop, The Phantom, Flash Gordon and Cuphead as well as DTC products like Comics Kingdom. Our mission is to build a fanbase for these and other emerging properties in social media, leveraging our marketing partnerships and entertainment initiatives.
This position will report to the Senior Director of Digital Marketing, Ecommerce and Subscription and will work closely with other roles within the organization including entertainment, editorial and licensing and merchandising. This role is a critical position within the King Features team. S/he will be focused on building a social media presence for iconic brands, efficiently building a fanbase for our properties, acquiring consumers for our digital products and driving social commerce.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Write, schedule, and optimize daily content across multiple social platforms for a variety of iconic pop culture brands including Popeye, Betty Boop, Comics Kingdom, The Cuphead Show!, The Phantom and Flash Gordon.
- Work with the Sr. Director of Digital Marketing as well as the Licensing/Merchandising team to hone each brand’s social voice and grow their social presence on established and emerging platforms.
- Work closely with editorial, marketing, and PR teams to ideate and execute social-focused initiatives and partnerships.
- Develop and execute creative content, engagement, and measurement efforts for social media by iconic brand franchise.
- Proactively engage with and interact with followers and fans by responding to questions and joining in relevant conversations.
- Keep ahead of and communicate social media trends, best practices and platform updates with team and key stakeholders.
- Execute and support social campaigns, including but not limited to account setup, strategy development, organization, KPI’s and management.
- Execute and manage social campaigns with a variety of goals and metrics in mind (subscriber acquisition, streams, video views, etc.).
- Accountability & ownership with limited supervision of social program, successes, and failures for several brand franchise accounts.
- Ensure messaging executed flawlessly, with an eye on constant optimization.
- Work with Digital Marketing team to gain an understanding of specific goals, build targeting, audience segments and executional recommendations.
- Track, measure, and analyze performance of all social stats.
- Lead monitoring and reporting of performance and proactively communicate any issues.
- Review plans and actively apply learnings to create best-in-class executions.
- Serve as social media expert, platform partner, and trend-spotter to bring first-to-market social and digital media opportunities that align with business objectives.
- Maintain and develop strong professional relationships internally (across departments) and externally (entertainment and licensing partners).
- Responsible for all basic tactical execution and campaign audits.
- Mentor and effectively delegate tasks and responsibilities to interns/junior members on the team.
- Participate in brainstorm meetings to conceptualize, develop and pitch ideas for social media campaigns, events and partnerships.
- Find and maintain relationships with content/marketing partners and social platform managers to develop partnership opportunities, e.g. Dinnerly and Van Leeuwen for Popeye.
- Partner with e-Commerce and marketing to create, execute and manage the social media calendars and daily social content for the multiple brands (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.).
- Collaborate with influencers on giveaways, brand promotion and create a general buzz through innovative partnerships.
- Strengthen relationships with existing and potential customers/fans by engaging the social media community with answers to questions and continuing an ongoing dialogue (tweeting, sharing, commenting and liking, etc.).
- Assist during events and festivals as needed (ComicCon, NCSFest, etc.).
- Continually research to stay current on trend as well as social media/digital trends and tools.
- Minimum 2 years managing Social campaigns including (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), Including social tracking implementation and reporting.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, positive demeanor, excellent communicator, and able to juggle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Polished with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Analytical with a comfort in dealing with numbers and reporting
- Reasonable availability to respond to requests and attend the real-time needs of campaigns outside normal business hours.
- Willingness and flexibility to “pitch in” with various ad-hoc projects to help support the larger team.
- Ability to adapt to change and continually evolve skills to meet the everchanging needs of the media industry.
Preferred Requirements of the Role
Experience managing social media channels and working on creative and innovative social media campaigns for a high-profile brand or brands
- Experience executing and managing processes on a best-in-class social media editorial team, working cross-functionally with internal teams and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments
- Hands-on knowledge of digital media tools such as digital photography and tools used for social content, e.g. Photoshop
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong editing skills and attention to detail
Required Education and Experience
This position requires a B.A. and 2+ years of relevant social media management experience
- Display an in-depth knowledge of Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest etc. and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios
- Experienced in marketing to both B2C and B2B audiences is a plus
- Must be self-motivated with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
Hearst is a leading global, diversified media, information and services company with more than 360 businesses. Its major interests include ownership in cable television networks such as A&E, HISTORY, Lifetime and ESPN; global financial services leader Fitch Group; Hearst Health, a group of medical [...]