First Line Manager positions manage employees having a variety of responsibilities in delivering Service Desk support to external clients. These services range from entry level break/fix support to complex centralized technical support where the work is delivered through a variety of mechanisms such as telephone, email, chat, web, etc. Employee responsibilities may also include installing and operating client information systems and testing of hardware/software solutions. Positions are found most often in an environment where IBM has a long term relationship to provide IT services, or in a multi-vendor environment in support of a client's business. Typically involved in the management of live production systems and/or testing environment performing systems level configuration or analyzing business requirements to define, maintain and occasionally installs computer systems, network applications/systems and workstation services.
- Knowledge Management: Participates in the creation, harvesting, protection, and reuse of IBM's intellectual capital. Participates in knowledge sharing activities like communities of practice, forums, conferences and/or knowledge exchanges.
- Management position providing leadership and guidance typically to employees within a department or functional business area. Activities generally include interpreting policies/practices, identifying/satisfying resource needs and ensuring achievement of business goals. Typically manages in an environment that includes a single or multiple moderate sized customers/divisions with standard services/configurations. Typically operates within a well established, steady state environment. Decisions can influence client plans, schedules and satisfaction.
- Discharges the basic management responsibilities and assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Accountable for team or department work products, and for the impact of the results on functional activities. Participates in function or leads department overall program planning objectives. Participates in cost improvement strategies, including labor and expense elements. Contributes by supporting activities that are subject to business measurements, impact customer satisfaction, and/or impact immediate costs or expenses.
- Regularly participates in overall department and/or client planning to strengthen and improve service delivery plans and processes. Typically supports a single or multiple sized client(s)/division environment with standard services configuration.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise:
- At least 4 years experience leading individuals/teams
- Individually, or through leadership of a department, works on defined projects related to area of specialty. May draw on other internal or external resources to expand knowledge.
- Understands the department mission and vision and applies this understanding to project activities.
- Provides advice in technical/operational domain of specialization.
- Directly influences team members within own department or client team with different ideas and techniques for performing tasks, development of solutions and the definition of strategies.
- Develops plans and completion criteria and coordinates efforts of team members, vendors, subcontractors, client personnel and IBM groups.
- Maintains contacts with senior management presenting progress/status, risk identification, risk management, client satisfaction and negotiation updates.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- Six Sigma related methodologies for right to left/continuous improvement activities
- Defect prevention resources, concepts, and methodologies
- ITIL foundation certification
Eligibility Requirements: None
Required Education: None
Associate's Degree/College Diploma
Travel Required: Up to 10% or 1 day a week
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position: No
Join us and be part of a diverse and global team of thinkers and doers - people who want to make an impact, cultivate their expertise and collaborate with some of the world’s top business and technology professionals.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
There is no other company like IBM and there is no business professional like the IBMer. We are experts in nearly every technical scientific and business field. We are citizens of, and apply our expertise in, more than 170 countries. Yet we are united by a single purpose: to be essential. We do [...]