Imgur was founded in 2009 as a simple image hosting platform and over the past seven years has evolved into the world’s largest image sharing community. We have grown from having 46,000 page views per month in February 2009 to over seven billion page views per month in February 2016 (with 900 billion images viewed in 2015 alone). We are now a top-15 visited site in the United States and our opportunity for future growth is massive. As we continue to expand internally and externally, we are looking to add a talented backend engineer to our smart, fun, and quirky culture to help us achieve our goals for growth and scalability.
Imgur is positivity at scale.
Our vision is to lift the world’s spirits for a few moments every day. We accomplish this by surfacing the world’s most entertaining content. With every submission having the potential to go viral, our highly-engaged community is integrally important to our product and we want to ensure we continually delight and surprise our users.
You are a senior+-level software engineer who thrives on building highly-scalable backend solutions. You enjoy working with a small and Agile team that is tasked with developing core features and functions while also focusing on stability and performance issues. You are comfortable building things from scratch and working in the core engineering team. You will be responsible from prototyping to owning the whole product lifecycle. Most importantly - you’re excited about working on a product that our highly-engaged community loves and deploying code to our 175M monthly active users.
- Help us evolve our platform to its next incarnation
- Write systems in PHP5, Golang, and/or node.js (previous knowledge not necessary, but willingness to learn is)
- Work with and become an expert in datastores such as MySQL, DynamoDB, HBase, etc.
- Be part of a team that wants to work on all aspects of the mobile web technology.
- Own the Tests, CI tools, Chef recipes, StatsD monitoring, logging, and alerting for your software.
What you bring to the table:
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of professional experience with backend technologies
- Critical thinkers who present logical arguments to defend their solutions
- Experience in PHP, Go, and/or Node.js is helpful but experience in Java or C/C++ is of course welcome
- The ability to comfortably program in a Unix environment and knowledge of Unix commands
- A passion for beautiful, pragmatic code paired with a strong sense of product design
- Experience with distributed systems a huge plus!
- Competitive salary, fully covered medical/dental/vision
- 401k matching
- 25 days of PTO per year
- Gym stipend
- Passion fund - $500 a year towards your favorite passion or something you’ve always wanted to try
- Commuter/parking benefits
- Opportunity to work on the world’s largest image sharing community!
Above all: As we grow, so will you. Interested? Click apply and let’s begin the journey together. Note: if you don't meet these requirements we are still open to hearing from you.
We support women in our company in the following ways:
-We have support channels of communication
-Leadership team is 29% women
-Maternity/ paternity policy
-Provide training and development opportunities
-Opportunities at Speaking series
Imgur is the best place to share and enjoy the most awesome images on the Internet. Every day, millions of people use Imgur to be entertained and inspired by funny, heartwarming and helpful images and stories from all around the world.