Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Advanced knowledge in all packet based protocols such as TCP/IP, MPLS and routing protocols such IS-IS, RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP4, Advanced knowledge of LAN Switching architecture, design and implementation. Must be an expert in fundamental IP/Ethernet networking (i.e. ARP, broadcast storms, L2 Loop avoidance mechanisms, etc.)
• Experienced in the design and operation of Cisco and Juniper network products and Cisco IOS and JUNOS software. Clear understanding of modern router architecture (control plane and forwarding plane separation, switch fabric design, egress queuing, IP lookup algorithms)
• Creates test plans; tests and validates functionality, management and performance for existing & new technologies.
• Conducts equipment evaluations, equipment selection, pilot testing and network designs to ensure reliability and scaled expansion of the network.
• Assist in preparing engineering cost analysis to optimize return on investment.
• Creates work package that enhances technical operation, complies with rules and regulations, and permits the deployment of new technology.
• Supports deployments of new services, systems, applications and architectures with installation, configuration, integration, evaluation, testing, documentation, and training
• Performs design functions in Granite for Cox Business products in HFC and On-Network fiber locations.
• Support contact for Cox Business Sales, Sales Engineering, and Program management to determine service delivery solutions.
• Partners with change management for impact identification, network validation, MOP creation and execution of activities.
• Provides technical operations support and consultation to field technical operations teams.
• Provides telecommunication solutions to increase operational efficiencies and expand network services.
• Provides detailed engineering support and consultation to other departments.
• Defines and compiles the methods of procedures and documentation to support personnel in the installation, maintenance and removal of network equipment.
• Establishes network performance measurements and goals.
• Collaborates with vendors to create designs and procedures that ensure proper equipment installation and operation.
• May manage intermediate level projects with Operations and Engineering to confirm delivery intervals and validate critical dates and milestones to ensure delivery of services stay on target.
• Coordinates with other departments to ensure the network is available and configured to exceed market demands.
• Facilitates communications with employees and other departments by holding or attending meetings, preparing reports, and participating on task forces.
• Facilitates capacity verification to identify network availability during pre-sale analysis (commercial).
• May perform reliability studies and assessments to ensure Cox is the Trusted Provider
• 5+ years of experience required in related field (i.e. telecommunications or networking field.). 3+ years of experience required if candidate possesses a related advanced degree (MS/MBA or above).
• 5 years of experience working in IP engineering
• Working knowledge of transmission, switching, powering, grounding, mechanical, and cabling.
• Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills.
• Excellent collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout the organization.
• 2-3 years experience developing and maintaining detailed network designs and documentation
• 2-3 years experience troubleshooting and diagnostics
• BS/BA degree in related discipline strongly preferred (i.e. Engineering, Computer Science, or similar technical degree).
• Certifications: 3RP, CCNP/CCDP, JNCIS/JNCIP
• Experience in telecommunications industry desired.
• Experience leading projects to enhance the network capability for existing and future services
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet, telephone and home security and automation services over its own nationwide IP network. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and digital media advertising. Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in broadband, voice and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Organization: Cox Communications, Inc.
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-6305 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet, telephone and home security and automation services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and [...]