JOB PURPOSE SUMMARY: The Senior Manager of Laboratory and Analytical Services is responsible for the leadership of the laboratory and analytical services program across the North American enterprise; including the state-of-the-art ISO-accredited corporate laboratory located in Louisville, Colorado as well as factory-based laboratories in ten (10) production locations across the United States. The corporate laboratory serves as a research center and food testing facility for the largest public benefit corporation in North America; the $6.5B DanoneWave division of Danone S.A. As the acquisition of the former WhiteWave Foods Company by Danone S.A. is now complete, we are searching for a Laboratory and Analytical Services leader whom can take this former WhiteWave Quality Assurance Corporate Laboratory and transform it into a North American hub for quality and food safety laboratory excellence.
The primary responsibility of this role will be to help establish a strategic plan for the transformation of the corporate laboratory in partnership with key leaders across Danone. Operationally, this role will also coordinate research projects, recommend and validate new instruments, manage laboratory quality and food safety programs nationwide, control costs, help to improve quality, create and publish interactive reports and assure laboratory excellence.
Additionally the Senior Manager is responsible for maintaining the laboratory quality management system according to ISO 17025. This position supervises/coaches all laboratory personnel, is responsible for the individual development of the laboratory team members, and for promoting and maintaining a high level of engagement. He/She must ensure accurate and precise results are being achieved and properly reported. The Senior Manager will lead continuous improvement exercises, design experiments, and initiate corrective and preventative actions when needed. In addition, this individual is responsible for assuring that the broader laboratory group has the necessary resources to ensure success.
SCOPE OF ROLE: The Senior Manager of Laboratory and Analytical Services and team will support all manufacturing facilities that produce White Wave Food products with emphasis on company-owned facilities. As needed, the Laboratory team will also engage in activities with test equipment manufacturers, vendors, industry colleagues, and regulatory agencies.
Develop a strategic forward-looking plan for the laboratory that transforms its current operation as a Quality Assurance Laboratory to a Quality & Food Safety Center of Excellence
• Design and coordinate research projects to create methods to assure the precise analysis of a broad portfolio of products types
• Recommend and validate new laboratory instruments that continue to progress DanoneWave as leader in analytical services through the increase in testing accuracy, reduction in testing time, and / or enabling real-time verification of product attributes during product manufacture
• Lead the laboratory quality and food safety programs nationwide to help to improve quality and assure excellence in laboratory technician and instrument performance
• Create and publish interactive reports that illustrate performace of people, processes and products across the entire portfolio
• Analyze, interpret and review data and test results; make recommendations to leadership accordingly
• Ensure full compliance to ISO 17025 (Management System)
• Review and ensure that all Laboratory tests (Chemistry and Microbiology Laboratories) are properly performed and accurately reported in a timely manner. This individual needs to ensure that the Laboratory has all the tools necessary to perform the tests, including training, instrument calibration and controls, documentation, and inventory
• Monitor all proficiency based testing and ensure compliance
• Troubleshoot testing challenges (continuous improvement; i.e. fishbone, etc.), come to a resolution, corrective and preventive actions
• Provide proper training, and complete the training profile for the Laboratory team
• Enforce and improve the Chemical Hygiene Plan, will act as a deputy to the Chemical Hygiene Officer and maintain proper housekeeping and GLPs with strong environmental awareness
• Review and approve laboratory standard operating procedures
• Develop and lead proper proficiency testing for corporate as well as the plant and contract manufacturer laboratories
• Keep abreast of and review applications of new novel testing technologies
• Assist with testing when short staffed
• Support the manufacturing facilities with routine, investigatory, and developmental Chemistry, Microbiological, and Product Compliance testing
• Manage InfinityQS and Core LIMS software for the Corporate Laboratory
• May require weekend work as well as travel (plant troubleshooting and laboratory audits)
JOBS SUPERVISED (BY TITLE):
• Four (4) Direct Reports: (3) Quality Scientists (1) Lab Supervisor
• Indirect Reports: Three (3) Lab Technicians reporting to the Lab Supervisor
TRAVEL: Estimated at 10-20% (may be higher during acclimation period)
A. Education and Experience:
Required Degree: Masters in Microbiology / Food Science / Chemistry with 5 years lab management experience or BS with 8 years lab management experience
Preference will be given to Master's and Ph.D. candidates in the same disciplines
• Prefer Quality Assurance experience in food manufacturing environments with emphasis on ESL, Aseptic, and/or Dairy equipment
• Prefer experience in running a research program
• Prefer experience in dairy and plant-based cultured and beverage products, baked / snack goods, frozen, powdered supplements, and produce.
• Must be a leader, team builder and motivator
• Must be organized and analytical
• Statistical analysis knowledge preferred
• Must be able to travel
• Outstanding communication / presentation skills / report writing skills
• Ability to work under tight timelines
• Excellent record keeping / documentation skills / budget management
• Must be capable of managing business-critical functions in a calm and systematic fashion
C. NONESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
• 6+ years multi-plant QA/QC responsibility preferred
• Must have proficiency with personal computers, Microsoft Office tools, InfinityQS, laboratory instrumentation, plant PLC computers, and plant equipment
WORKING ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires prolonged sitting and standing, bending, stooping and climbing. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and laboratory equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and vision (including colors) to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports and laboratory results. Requires lifting up to 50 pounds. Requires exposure to machines, chemicals and solvents.
Must understand vague and implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people. Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position. Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. Ability to give, receive and analyze information, formulate work plans and prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans. Must understand people and be able to communicate effectively. Ability to do simple math calculations, input data into a computer and analyze data is required.
Danone Foods is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, genetic characteristic or any other unlawful criterion.
Dedicated to bringing health through food to as many people as possible, Danone is a leading global food company. With products like Dannon yogurt, Silk Almond Milk, Evian Water, Nutricia Neocate, and So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream - we are truly invested in changing the way the world eats and [...]