We are EA
And we make games – how cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe 24/7 with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games and delivering a flawless player experience is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, resourceful and passionate people in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead
We are a group of DevOps engineers who collaborate with multiple teams to provide online services that enhance the game experience. We support a multi-billion-dollar video game ecosystem and various non-development business units within EA – our portfolio is wide. Our environments are continuously challenged by marketing promotions, game launches, and security threats. We are passionate about automation and ensuring high standards.
Who You Are
- A self-starter with a considerable breadth of technical knowledge and the ability to dig deep when necessary.
- Someone who communicates well with people across dozens of teams and practices.
- An engineer with a passion for excellence, a devotion to automation, and an eye for efficiency.
- A consummate problem solver.
Who We Are
We are a multi-discipline team of engineers supporting our live services and the developers who create them. As DevOps engineers our role covers the entire life-cycle of a product, from helping the developers with architecture and delivery to on-call incident response and triage. We focus heavily on automation and continuous integration/delivery, ensuring that everything we deliver is robust, efficient, and supportable. Our responsibilities include
- Being the escalation path for on-call incident response and triage
- Performing root cause analysis and post-mortems with an eye towards future prevention
- Creating configuration management and infrastructure automation
- Designing and implementing CI/CD pipelines for all that we build
- Designing and delivering core infrastructure services
- Preemptively creating stability, security, and performance improvements via metric/monitoring analysis
- Making sure every service has a complete high-availability and disaster recovery story
- Maintaining security standards across everything we support.
- Producing documentation, runbooks, and support tooling for online support teams
The systems we support are incredibly diverse, produced by dozens of teams from around the world. Accordingly the ideal candidate will have a diverse skill set and always be eager to expand it. More importantly, they will be able to apply their conceptual understanding to new technologies and tools rapidly. Being a self-starter and having a personal dedication to continuous learning is key. The below is a representative but non-exhaustive list of the skills we are looking for in a successful candidate.
- Systems Administration: a strong understanding of *nix is mandatory. Familiarity with both RHEL and Debian family distros is preferred. Strong skill with ad-hoc scripting a plus. Understanding of core services like DNS, DHCP, LDAP, logging, etc.
- Networking: a strong understanding of networking basics is mandatory. Switching/routing, VPNs, load balancing, proxying, network virtualization, firewall basics (especially iptables) and general netsec best practices.
- Programming Languages: experience with Ruby and Python is preferred. Ability to dive into the code during triage or while trying to understand behavior is a must. Familiarity with C/C++, Go, Java, and Scala is desirable.
- Automation: experience with configuration management and infrastructure as code tools is a must. Chef (preferred), Puppet, Terraform (preferred), Packer, CloudFormation, etc.
- Distributed Systems: a strong understanding of distributed systems is a must. An understanding of the CAP theorem, techniques for high availability, service discovery, secret management, etc.
- Virtualization, Containerization, Cloud Computing: AWS (preferred), GCP, Azure, VMWare ecosystem, Kubernetes (preferred), Docker, Vagrant, etc.
What's in it for you? Glad you Asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.