DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment) is an award-winning developer based in Stockholm, Sweden. DICE is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise and the latest instalment of the Star Wars series, Battlefront II.
The Development and Release Engineer Role
Development and Release Engineering is the intersection of DevOps, Release Management, Build Engineering, and Production Support. We take care of everything between a developer or creative's desk and the console of a player in their sitting room. We run services to support development teams around the world. We debug why a level is not able to build - and who is best equipped to fix that. We are the superusers of Perforce and git, and we're the experts at shipping games. We write our own technology when we have to, but prefer using well-known open source software. We enable EA to ship great games.
DRE is the global organisation for Development and Release Engineering at EA and you will collaborate with other teams in Europe and beyond, to spread knowledge, share technology and best practice.
We are involved in most complex technology conversations, so communicating clearly is something you'll get lots of practise with. You'll be talking to Senior Engineers, Technical Directors, Technical Artists, and Systems Engineers.
People come to us with complex loosely-defined problems and ask us to turn them into solutions. Sometimes this means we're collaborating on problems outside our knowledge area, which requires us to learn new things quickly and thrive in ambiguity.
We're a small team with a great deal of responsibility, which means you'll learn many new technologies and join us as being the domain experts in many new areas.
- Develop and Operate Continuous Integration for DICE’s games
- Communicate clearly with DICE and other teams to ensure games are delivered to required specifications
- Ensure the game is in a good state and can be tested by QA
- Ensure builds are reliable and fast
- Work with people from around the world - we’re a global team
- Build and Maintain a complex business-critical production system for internal use
Work with the leadership team to develop and implement best practices in technology and behaviour
We are recruiting for multiple positions at different levels of experience. More senior engineers would be expected to have:
Candidate Requirements for Senior Engineers
- Prior experience of shipping software to production (games or other tech)
- Excellent knowledge of Software development and practices, including for example C#, Java, scripting languages, and choosing the right language for the job.
- Excellent knowledge of CM & CI/CD systems and practices
- A great understanding and feel for the full flow of software production, from requirements to deliverables
- Good knowledge of software architecture patterns and practices
- Technical mentoring and interest in leadership
- Interest and knowledge of agile methodologies
- We’re an international team who communicate in English - You’ll need to be comfortable talking and writing about complex technical details in English
- Ability to work logically to diagnose and solve problems in complex systems
- A team collaborator; shares knowledge and responsibilities
- Desire to learn new technologies; both open-source and internal EA systems
- Scripting / programming experience, ideally on codebases that are over 5 years old
- A Computing degree or equivalent professional experience (2+ years)
What tech are we using?
Although it is not required to have experience in our tech, candidates often find it helpful to know what we are using. This is not an exhaustive list and this changes over time as we find better solutions.
- Windows 10, Ubuntu, Debian
- Jenkins CI
- Perforce, git, GitLab
- vSphere / VMware
- Docker, DC/OS, Kubernetes
- Ansible, Packer
- Elasticsearch, Kibana, SQL
- Python, Java, C#, node.js, C++
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At DICE we take care of our staff and have done so during our steady growth over the last decade. In addition to a competitive compensation package, long term career development and training we offer our employees 10 EA games per year, massage every three weeks, a variety of sports activities (yoga and cross-fit to name a few) and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen and also provide our employees’ with pension; ITP 1 or ITP 2.
Although we enjoy working hard at DICE, we respect and value our employees’ personal lives. A good work-life balance is something we practice and maintain even during high-intensity periods.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.