Public & Regulatory Affairs Specialist or Senior
Public & Regulatory Affairs Specialist OR Senior (depending on experience)
Supports the transformation of health care through the proactive application of strategies designed to establish Cambia as a market-leading health solutions innovator and provider of high-quality health care services. Works in partnership with the Director of Public Affairs and Government Relations and Public Affairs team to represent Cambia and to advocate with state and federal agencies with regulatory or oversight authority over Cambia’s operational activities. Serves as a connection point and advisory resource to Cambia to ensure new laws, rules, and regulatory issues are appropriately communicated to accountable persons in the Company.
At Cambia, our values are fundamental to achieving our Cause of transforming the health care industry. They guide our actions and bring diverse perspectives together to improve the health care journey better for those we serve. All eight values are equally important and linked to the others: Empathy, Hope, Courage, Trust, Commitment, Innovation, and Accountability. These values are not just words on paper - we live them every day.
Responsibilities & Requirements
General Functions and Outcomes:
- Develop and maintain effective relations with state and federal regulators and other organizations that influence regulations and rule-making.
- Develop comments on proposed regulations for submission to state and federal regulatory agencies and represent Regence in administrative rule hearings. Represent Cambia to other external industry organizations for compliance purposes.
- Facilitate the dissemination of legislation and regulations as necessary to support the Company’s implementation and compliance efforts.
- Periodically report key issues and activities to senior leadership.
- Work in partnership with the Director of Public Affairs and Government Relations to ensure the effectiveness of Cambia in their market to develop and strengthen Cambia’s reputation and presence as a high-quality health care innovator.
- Secure key relationships and actively develop opportunities to accomplish this. Work in collaboration with more broad Cambia teams to execute on positioning campaigns and strategies.”
- Create and monitor project work plans to ensure that tasks are identified, executed, and timelines are met.
- Provide support to Regulatory Implementation and Compliance by analyzing new statutes and regulations for requirements and legislative intent necessary for effective implementation.
- Develop recommendations for how Regence will comply with new laws and regulations.
- Provide support to Government Affairs for reviewing and analyzing legislative proposals that could impact the Company and provide reports on key public policy issues. Support to Government Affairs is secondary to the above activities.
- Responsibilities extend to Company’s wholly owned or controlled subsidiaries and affiliates.
Additional General Functions & Outcomes for Regulatory Affairs Specialist Senior:
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with applicable state regulators (insurance division and exchange staff), state insurance association if applicable, BCBSA and AHIP.
- Established reputation as the go-to person for regulatory issues in applicable state.
- Knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes, including regulatory administration and enforcement.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, research and develop legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff and leadership.
- Demonstrated creative thinking and effective strategic planning and facilitation abilities. Proficient in Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and project management software.
- Ability to develop, monitor and organize comments to proposed rules changes and research and analyze documentation.
- Ability to collaborate with regulators while advocating Company positions and resolving concerns in a manner favorable to the Company.
Additional Minimum Requirements for level II:
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry with an emphasis on state and federal health care laws and regulations.
- Excellent decision-making skills and ability to work within ambiguous situations where judgement is critical to drive desired outcomes.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above:
- Public and Regulatory Affairs Specialist will have a Bachelor’s degree in business, political science, health or public policy, social science or related field and 5 years’ experience in regulatory affairs, project management, compliance-related activities or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Regulatory affairs experience is preferred.
- Senior Public and Regulatory Affairs Specialist will have a Bachelor’s degree in business, political science, health or public policy, social science or related field and 8 years’ experience in regulatory affairs, project management, compliance-related activities or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
At Cambia, we advocate for transforming the health care system. You aren’t satisfied with the status quo and neither are we. We're looking for individuals who are as passionate as we are about transforming the way people experience health care. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check is required.
Cambia’s portfolio of companies spans health care information technology and software development; retail health care; health insurance plans that carry the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands; pharmacy benefit management; life, disability, dental, vision and other lines of protection; alternative solutions to health care access; and free-standing health and wellness solutions.
We have over a century of experience in developing and providing health solutions to serve our members. We had our beginnings in the logging communities of the Pacific Northwest as innovators in helping workers afford health care. That pioneering spirit has kept us at the forefront as we build new avenues to improve access to and quality of health care for the future.
Need help finding the right job?
Cambia Health Solutions, headquartered in Portland, Oregon, is dedicated to transforming health care. We put people at the heart of everything we do as we work to make the health care system better and more economically sustainable for people and their families. Our company reaches more than 70 [...]