Hearst Business Media is a global technology leader delivering information, insights, analytics, and workflow solutions to meet worldwide needs in the finance, healthcare, aviation and transportation markets HBM businesses develop and market data used every day for critical functions in healthcare, transportation, and finance. At our core we leverage data and expertise to answer critical questions that come up as people do their jobs, from selecting the right drug for a patient to estimating a repair for a car. We have an extraordinary diversity of data, across industries and applications therein. Plus, we’re growing both organically and by acquisition (which means even more data sets!).
As successful as we are, our aspiration is to do even better. Data it at the heart of what we do but we think we can improve. We’ve seen the amazing feats achieved by modern AI technology and believe we are at the beginning of a period of unprecedented innovation. We’ve started an ambitious project to assist our businesses with building their products and developing new ones. This work will require handling transactional data, manufacturing information, and human-curated content. We’ll leverage ML, deep learning, semantic modeling, probabilistic programming, and likely pioneer some new techniques. If the idea of this much diversity, of industry, of technique, of content, excites you then we want to speak to you!
This hands-on key position reports to our VP of Data Science and will take a leading role in both the creation of analytical strategies designed to maximize the value of our data internally across multiple verticals, and in the design and development of new products and product features related to machine learning and analytics. The Data Scientist will be responsible for ensuring that our data science products are of the highest quality, through prototyping, supporting pilot programs, and effective transitioning to production teams. The primary areas include – but are not limited to – forecasting, record linkage, segmentation, natural language processing, and image recognition.
Our use cases are extremely broad, from precision medicine for patient care to predictive models of future auto valuations to natural language processing and image recognition of web-scraped social media and advertising data. We have the highest executive support and direct impact on our customer experience and bottom line.
Who you are:
- An intellectually curious, independent thinker who likes to build new platforms, features and services from scratch, thinks outside the box, and is always looking for disruptive opportunities with a commercial benefit.
- A machine learning enthusiast and domain expert, looking to be part of a cutting edge, nimble team working on high profile projects across a wide spectrum of businesses and use cases.
- Someone who loves to grow, to learn new technologies, and who can implement solutions using these technologies to empower internal customers and scale existing platforms.
- Someone who is not intimidated by challenges; thrives even under pressure; is passionate about their craft; and focused on delivering exceptional results.
A day in the life:
- Act as project lead and point person/subject matter expert for a number of data science projects spanning multiple business units
- Lead the full cycle of iterative exploratory data analysis, including hypothesis formulation, algorithm development, data structuring, testing, insight generation/visualization, and action planning
- Apply proven machine learning methods and hacking skills in working with open-source and proprietary technologies to explore and extrapolate insights from divergent data types
- Independently collaborate with peers, data engineers, database managers, and business analysts across multiple businesses in designing and implementing research and development strategies and communication of insights for complex and unique business problems
- Lead the development of data science products and services and work with our engineering teams to embed analytical technology into our existing platforms
- Develop deep learning algorithms to exploit novel distributed processor architectures
- PhD degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field with a strong publication record or demonstrable record of delivery.
- 3-5 years’ experience in machine learning algorithms using Python or R
- 3-5 years’ experience working with relational databases
- Exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities
- Strong communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across various internal organizations
Added bonus points:
- Experience with Big Data solutions: Hadoop, Pig/Hive, Spark, MongoDB or other
- Experience deploying machine learning algorithms to a production environment
- Experience in time series analysis and signal processing
- Experience developing machine learning algorithms for one or more of the following:
Natural Language Processing, Image Recognition, Deep learning
If you’re interested in the position, or know someone great for the position, please contact Stefon Ricard at email@example.com. Even if the position isn’t right for you, if you refer someone that’s hired, we’ll give you $1000!
The Hearst Diversity Council's purpose is to champion an environment that encourages and inspires respect for everyone's values, backgrounds, differences, abilities and personal choices.
Its holdings include renowned brands such as Fitch Group, a leading global ratings agency; the Hearst Health network of market-leading healthcare companies First Databank, Zynx Health, MCG, Homecare Homebase and MedHOK, which provide care guidance to patients, hospitals, and insurers; and Hearst [...]