Some info about Arylla
Arylla makes invisible ink (readable via smartphone) to track provenance of luxury goods. We’re on a mission to replace paper certificates of authenticity with something that is more secure, traceable, and permanent. Arylla is backed by leading investors in fashion and technology, like Y Combinator, Zappos (owned by Amazon), and U-Start. We are currently in beta with a collection of luxury brands from North America and Europe. Arylla was founded in 2015 by nanotechnology engineers and close friends from the University of Waterloo. We currently have 1 employee and a small army of interns (this will be Arylla's second hire).
What we're looking for
Arylla is looking for a talented materials scientist to join our team! In the short term, this person will work alongside the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO) to prepare our existing ink formulation for pilot testing, which will involve making surface modifications to Arylla’s proprietary nanomaterial (encapsulated in the ink), testing various deposition methods, and translating feedback from clients into technical milestones. Furthermore, we expect this person to play an active role in creating Arylla’s long term R&D strategy by conceiving new ways for the technology to be improved and managing projects with multiple researchers/collaborators. The ideal candidate will have experience with wet chemistry techniques and nanomaterial synthesis, as well as exceptional adaptability and interpersonal skills.
Why it's fun to work with us
- Work autonomously and make direct contributions to product development
- Get experience commercializing a new technology
- Exposure to early stage business development (fundraising, sales etc.)
- See your work being used in the real world by luxury brands you know/love
- The occasional trip to places like Paris and Milan
- Masters level education or higher
- Recently graduated from Ontario based academic institution (PhD – less than 5 years, Masters – less than 3 years)
- Min. 2 years of independent research experience (where you were responsible for identifying key metrics, setting milestones, experimental design, and reporting)
- Thesis or publication(s) relating to one of the following topics: nanoparticle synthesis, nanoparticle ink, surface functionalization, formulation engineering, and attachment of nanoparticles to surfaces
We believe in equal opportunities for everyone regardless of gender, sexual orientation, or ethnic background. We're still a relatively small startup so we haven't had the chance to fully put that philosophy into action yet! Nonetheless, 40% of the people we've hired so far have been women.