We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are embarking on their most ambitious projects to date, delivering Battlefield 5: Firestorm and a brand new, unannounced title. We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forwards.
We require a Lead Lighting Artist who has strong understanding of the art and craft of lighting. You will be expected to design creative and technical solutions as well as collaborate with other disciplines across the wider studio.
What a Lead Lighting Artist does at Criterion:
The Lead Lighting Artist is responsible for implementing all in game lighting, cinematic lighting, post-process treatments and grading. You should be confident defining the lighting goals with the Art and Technical Directors and collaborating with the Development Directors on delivery plans. You will be part of a team that works collaboratively in an iterative design process; breaking down deliverables; sharing regular updates and delivering on commitments.
Your eye for composition and knowledge of the creative craft of using lighting to create atmosphere will be key to setting the look and feel of almost every pixel in the game. You will also work alongside your team providing briefs, style guides and prototypes alongside inspiration, motivation and mentorship.
A Lead Lighting Artist also needs:
- Excellent knowledge of lighting, shading and PBR for realtime and offline including optimisation for performance and quality (e.g. UE4, Marmoset, Vray, Arnold, Redshift).
- The skills to analyse and deconstruct images artistically and technically.
- Experience of reference capture and building photoreal CGI (GI, Reflectance etc.)
- HDRI workflows from capture to implementation of shading and sky boxes.
- Experience of grading and post production in real time engines.
- Experience implementing lighting and shading in DCC (e.g. Maya, 3dsmax, Houdini, Substance).
- A broad interest in aspects of visual art outside of video and computer games.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages, but more importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
- More about our studio:http://criteriongames.com/
- More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.