Cox Communications is searching for an Lead Design Architect to plan, design, implement and maintain carrier class, service provider backbone and metro networks. You must have a strong multidisciplinary telecommunications background. Core focus will be on the IP packet based infrastructure supporting Video, Voice, and Data services. Must incorporate a large number of variables to build the best design. Must have strong documentation and ability to influence operations team on process for implementing the design. Strong technical skills and business savvy are required to build the IP transport systems at Cox. Must be able to design highly available, resilient, and scalable networks.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Conducts extensive lab evaluations and integration testing of network elements and document results.
• Formulates integrated voice, data, and/or video network architectures based upon demand, capacity, emerging network services, trends, and technologies
• Plans future network enhancements and directions for access, metro, and national networks.
• Leads major network deployments or teams with operations for deployments.
• Provides detailed engineering support and consultation to field systems, design engineers, and implementation teams.
• Serves as primary subject matter expert in the area of IP Network Engineering
• Conduct engineering economic, alternative, and feasibility evaluations
• Develops network element technical specifications.
• 8 years experience with IP network design and management including recent experience with Cisco and Juniper specific implementations
• 5 years experience designing and implementing complex IP routing scenarios (Including BGP, ISIS, MPLS)
• Expert knowledge in all packet based protocols such as TCP/IP, MPLS and routing protocols such IS-IS, RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP4, Expert knowledge of LAN Switching architecture, design and implementation. Must be an expert in fundamental IP/Ethernet networking (i.e. ARP, broadcast storms, L2 Loop avoidance mechanisms, etc.)
• Self-motivated and able to take on large and complex projects. Demonstrated ability to create technical projects including time-lines, costs, resources and vendor interactions. Must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, dynamic and sometimes stressful environment. Ability to work both independently as well as on teams. Must be able to work as a lead engineer in a team atmosphere. Strong attention to detail. Solid and creative problem solving skills.
• Strong knowledge in optical transport systems, cable video architecture (Switched Digital, VOD, Digital Simulcast), and packet telephony are desirable.
• Advanced in the design and operation of Cisco and Juniper network products and Cisco IOS-XR and JUNOS software. Advanced understanding of modern router architecture (control plane and forwarding plane separation, switch fabric design, egress queuing, IP lookup algorithms).
• Advanced in general computing functions and IC properties (i.e. Ternary CAM, DRAM, SRAM, NVRAM, CPU multi-threading, interrupts, CPU efficiency)
• Advanced well-rounded Telecommunications Engineer. Ability to understand Physical and Data-link layer media properties and implications as they relate to network architecture (i.e. fiber optics, PSTN, HFC, DOCSIS, PON, RF, etc.)
• Advanced in data communications and networking principles; standards (e.g., ANSI, IETF, IEEE, MPLS&FRF, Nyquist Sampling Theorem, Shannon Information Theorem)
• Advanced in traffic engineering and bandwidth capacity management.
• Knowledge of the mathematics/physics of data network phenomena relating to network performance: response time, throughput, and availability.
• Experience and advanced knowledge of common engineering design principles and methodologies with ability to read and understand engineering specifications and documentation.
• Ability to interact and provide constructive engineering guidelines as well as provide business-oriented outlook and recommendations. Ability to analyze industry trends and develop services from cutting edge technology when it makes sound business sense.
• Effective written and verbal interpersonal communication skills. Experienced at writing technical proposals and documentation.
• Intermediate experience in Unix based operating systems, shell environments, and applications related to service provider networking. Ability to implement, support and analyze networking tools such as those available on CAIDA. (i.e. Netflow export and analysis, net mgmt, syslog, etc.)
• Familiarity with network dimensioning and failure analysis simulation (e.g., OPNET, Cariden, WANDL)
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or telecommunications field
• Telecommunications Industry certifications a plus
• Intermediate knowledge of DWDM network architecture and operations
• Background in lab testing methodology and requirements
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet, telephone and home security and automation services over its own nationwide IP network. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and digital media advertising. Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in broadband, voice and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Organization: Cox Communications, Inc.
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-6305 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet, telephone and home security and automation services over its own nationwide IP network. The third-largest U.S. cable company, Cox serves approximately 6 million residences and [...]