CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 31st JANUARY 2019
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS ROLE UNLESS YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA
- Currently studying in the penultimate year of an undergraduate degree.
- Available to commence a full-time, 1 year placement in summer 2019.
- Available and eligible to work in Guildford, UK, without the need for visa or relocation support.
To apply: Submit an up-to-date CV along with a cover letter which explains why you want to complete your internship with Criterion and what interests you in this specific placement.
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline crack squads to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion have recently embarked on their most ambitious projects to date, partnering with DICE on Battlefield V and pushing the boundaries with our own brand-new IP.
We are growing our team with talented people who can help us take a huge leap forwards, and you, the next generation of game makers, are central to this ambition. As we explore new possibilities within gaming, challenge our own beliefs and step outside of our comfort zone, we need fresh perspective that challenges convention and inspires us to grow.
We are looking for a passionate Intern Game Designer who can help us on this journey, while learning about the field of games design hands-on.
Within our studio we have a passion for teaching and sharing our knowledge with others both inside the studio and across the games industry. We know there are a lot of things we can teach you and so we are less focused on what you are capable of right now. What is important to us is who you are, and the fresh perspective you can bring.
What an Intern Game Designer at Criterion does:
Collaboration is a key pillar at Criterion, and as a designer you’ll be expected to work together with other designers, engineers, artists and all other disciplines within the studio. Unlike some other studios, we don’t separate our teams by craft. At Criterion we believe we are most effective when we work together in multi-discipline feature teams, allowing for even greater collaboration and creativity.
Designing a game requires many areas of expertise, so there’s a lot to choose from when it comes to a design specialisms: Levels, Gameplay, UI/UX, Handling, Systems, Combat, Events/Modes, Economy and Audio. Currently, we are looking for an intern in any one of these areas depending on what’s best for you, and in all likelihood you’ll end up working across a number of these.
What we are looking for:
- You need to be in the penultimate year of an undergraduate degree and available for a 1-year placement commencing summer 2019
- Ideally, you’ll be studying towards a degree in games design, or something similar
- Some experience in Design – maybe you’ve taken part in a hack, worked on a project at uni or done something in your own time
- Experience using visual and text base scripting interfaces and 3D tools / software (Maya, Max, etc.)
- An intense passion to make incredible games with fresh player experiences
- You value working in a team and aren’t afraid to ask questions
- You know that we can never truly stop learning and so have a hunger to learn as much as possible whenever you can
- A passion for games and games design
- You play games and often try to understand how they are made or have ideas on how to improve them
- Enthusiasm for working in our highly collaborative and friendly environment, where open and honest communication is essential
- While not essential if you have created a game feature or level, worked on a related project, or maybe designed your own website…show us, we would love to take a look
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages. Other benefits include:
- Free onsite gym.
- Two annual parties (Summer & Christmas).
- Onsite café.
- Our very own barista.
- Games Area
More importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
We thought you might also want to know:
We are based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com/
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.