We are looking for an Engineering Manager (EM) that will manage and recruit a team of backend engineers. As a coach and mentor, the EM will guide the team towards advancing Tala’s mission of empowering hundreds of thousands of customers globally to choose their financial futures. As a leader of the Engineering team, the EM ensures consistent practice of Tala’s engineering processes and career development.
This is a leadership role within Tala’s management track. You will report to the Engineering Lead, India and collaborate cross-functionally with all Tala teams across the globe.
- Recruit, mentor, and level-up 5-10 Engineers
- Lead and manage a team to execute on Tala India’s roadmap
- Effectively manage team as a highly technical and hands-on coder when needed
- Ensure consistent application of Tala engineering practices
- Review design documents, perform code reviews, and weigh in on implementation choices
- Support and collaborate with cross functional teams (Product, Data, Credit, and Business Development) to ship scalable software solutions
- Design and architect technical designs and TDD (Test Driven Development) to solve engineering challenges
- Provide guidance for integrations with external partners including user/events tracking, monitoring, and payment/KYC systems integration
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, including hands-on technical management
- significant coding experience in one or more of the following languages: Java, Kotlin, Scala, GoLang
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management
- Developed and launched large scale consumer mobile applications with the backend on Cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure) using microservices architecture paradigm
- Working knowledge in REST API development for mobile/web use
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or related fields
Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. More than 1.3 million people have borrowed through Tala’s smartphone app, which provides instant credit scoring, lending, and other personalized financial services in emerging markets. Tala has raised more than $105 million from leading venture and impact investors including Revolution, IVP, Ribbit Capital, Data Collective, and Lowercase Capital. Tala’s global team is headquartered in Santa Monica, with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, Mumbai, and Bangalore.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. More than 1.4 million people have borrowed through Tala’s smartphone app, which provides instant credit scoring, lending, and other personalized financial services in emerging markets. Tala has [...]