Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Finance, Strategic Planning & Procurement, Corporate Services
Like any winning team, Nike, Inc. relies on talented, ambitious individuals to thrive. Every day, the Corporate Service teams raise the bar on excellence. The diverse disciplines that make up these teams include Finance, Facilities, Legal, Human Resources, Procurement, Child Development, Administrative Support, Strategic Planning and more. Corporate Services drives innovation in process, technologies and services, while fueling the company with exceptional levels of support.
The Nike, Inc. Finance, Strategic Planning and Procurement teams play a key role in fueling the growth of Nike, Inc. Finance identifies opportunities and catalyzes action to drive value for every Nike shareholder. Strategic Planning helps write the future of the business by charting Nike’s path forward. Nike Procurement maximizes the value of the company’s investments in external resources and secures the best supplier relationships to drive business success. Across Nike’s diverse geographies and businesses, the teams’ unwavering commitment to excellence keeps the company one step ahead of the competition.
Today, the opportunities for growth across Nike, Inc.’s business portfolio offer more potential than ever. Nike Finance employees play a key role in that progress by identifying and capitalizing on opportunities to drive value for every Nike shareholder. They manage accounting and reporting for Nike’s multi-billion-dollar global investment portfolio, debt and equity instruments, and other Treasury activities. They strategize, forecast, audit, analyze, budget, research and lead important decisions. Across Nike’s diverse geographies and businesses, Finance employees deliver far more than just the numbers.
Every successful team at Nike, Inc. needs a brilliant game plan. Strategic Planning teams keep the company moving in the right direction by leading the strategic business planning process and spearheading transformational projects across Nike businesses and geographies. Embedded in teams across the company, strategy professionals explore complex business issues; conduct consumer, competitive and market analyses; create financial models and develop action plans. The Strategic Planning teams help write the future of sport by charting Nike’s path forward.
Nike, Inc.’s relentless pursuit of product innovation and sustainable growth demands bold new ways of doing business – including supplier engagement. Stretching far beyond conventional sourcing, Nike Procurement secures the best supplier relationships to drive business success. The team maximizes the value and reach of the company’s investments in external resources, including product materials, marketing services, digital tools, temporary labor, high-tech manufacturing equipment and other products and services to fuel business growth and sustainability.Description
As Nike’s Global Tax Director, State Tax Policy and Controversy, you will be responsible for directing and developing the overall strategy for audit and appeals of state income, franchise and gross receipts taxes. Additionally, you will be responsible for developing and executing public policy and advocacy priorities on state and local tax issues with state taxing administrators, legislatures, and other policymakers.
- Develops tax risk management strategy and provides vision and direction to the tax audit, tax planning, tax appeals, credits and incentives, and tax compliance teams to minimize the overall tax liability.
- Directs and develops the overall strategy for the state and local tax audit defense process within the organization with respect to state income taxes, state gross receipt taxes, state capital taxes, state franchise taxes and state and local miscellaneous taxes.
- Provides strategic support to the Indirect Tax team in the areas of sales and use tax and property tax controversy.
- Provides strategic direction to the planning team for developing innovative restructuring activities that are consistent with business operations and improves existing planning strategies to preserve tax savings which directly impact both short-term and long-term company goals.
- Advises senior management on tax planning strategy and in the formulation of company policies and procedures pertaining to tax legislation and regulation.
- Directs and approves the flow of information to government auditors from audit team members. Manages the relationships with government auditors to control the scope and direction of the audit. Manages the closing process of the audit from the preliminary audit liability to the final audit assessment, closing agreement, settlement agreement, appeals ruling and/or court order. Manages external advisors.
- Develops comprehensive quarterly audit reports for the tax department personnel to address the short and long-term financial impact of state audits.
- Work collaboratively with our Government and Public Affairs counterparts, Legal, and other internal teams to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals.
- Tracks and monitors state legislative activities related to state taxes, assess and communicate potential government activities to internal stakeholders, and develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions.
- Juris Doctorate or Master’s Degree in Tax.
- Experience with directing the audit defense process, aligning business and tax strategy, federal and state tax planning, transfer pricing and reorganizations.
- In-depth knowledge of complex tax laws and regulations, audit procedures, and audit philosophy of the 50 State taxing jurisdictions.
- Experience with filing protests, appeals and lawsuits.
- Experience with negotiation and execution of settlement agreements.
- At least 12 years of experience with interpreting federal, state income and sales/use tax laws, regulations, technical documents and case law and applying same to a complex business model.
- Extraordinary oral and written communication skills with ability to interact professionally with diverse groups.
- Dedicated to deployment of process improvement to mitigate risk and add value.
- Advanced computer skills including experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, Visio, and Outlook.
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented self-starter with ability to engage in, prioritize, and perform multiple ongoing tasks.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated understanding of complex tax concepts; must be flexible, adaptable, and resourceful.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment.
- Ability to pass a 7-year background check.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Job ID 00436511
NIKE, Inc. named for the Greek goddess of victory, is the world's leading designer, marketer, and distributor of authentic athletic footwear, apparel, equipment, and accessories for a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. Nike operates in four geographies, North America, Europe, Middle [...]