At EA, we thrive on outrageous thinking. It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re innovators and great storytellers. But it’s not just about amazing your peers – it’s about amazing yourself. Take risks. Collaborate with brilliant minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day.
Location: Seattle, WA
WE WANT YOUR BRAINS… PopCap is on the hunt for bright, talented, people with a passion for making the world’s best games. What’s in it for you? A super-fun environment, rewarding work, excellent benefits, and lots of great perks (matching gift donations, onsite yoga, and more). It takes big, delicious brains to make award-wining titles like Plants vs. Zombies, Bejeweled, and Peggle. Are you up for the challenge?
PopCap is seeking a Game Designer who can develop content, implement minor features and refine major features for one of our beloved live mobile games, staying true to PopCap’s values and commitment to quality. This position will be responsible for executing new features that deliver on the creative vision from initial concept to release. This position will support all facets of development by creating, documenting and communicating all aspects of feature design, and collaborating with the team to deliver success from a player experience standpoint as well as the product's business goals.
What you’ll do:
- Creatively implement game systems and features in specific areas of the game in alignment with the overall game vision
- Author levels, content, events, units and items to expand the using a variety of tools.
- Work in-build to tune, debug and modify behaviors
- Create, document, maintain and build the aspects of the features and systems
- Estimate scale and scope to articulate the cost of design implementation
- Collaborate with team members across disciplines to implement and iterate on the new features that impact overall game vision
- Lead brainstorms, filter ideas and evolve design decisions based on regular play testing and audience feedback throughout product cycle
- Create innovative and engaging mechanics through iterative prototyping while maintaining PopCap’s high standard of quality
- Devise systems and balance in-game resources and economy to ensure player’s long term retention and to optimize monetization
- Communicate complex ideas clearly to the team to articulate the “why” behind the “what”
- Provide and receive critiques in a constructive manner with suggestions and solutions for improvement
- Remain current on industry trends including: new game genres, new game design methods and emerging platforms.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Passion for crafting amazing gaming experiences for the mobile platform!
- 5+ years of game design experience within casual and/or mobile space with shipped titles.
- Experience with freemium/F2P design, including microtransactions and virality.
- Strong creative identity, imagination and holistic game design skills.
- Knowledge of and affinity for the casual games audience.
- Aptitude for scripting, Unity and custom authoring tools.
- Creatively, analytically and organizationally skilled with proven ability to write, communicate and maintain detailed design documentation throughout the game’s life cycle.
- Expert understanding of gameplay mechanics and systems.
- Solid knowledge of game industry, trends, competition, platforms and market.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Proven ability to collaborate and communicate effectively at the team, studio and organization levels.
PopCap is the leading global developer and operator of casual video games: fun, easy-to-learn, captivating games that appeal to all ages across mobile, PC, social and other platforms. Based in Seattle, Washington, PopCap was founded in 2000, was acquired by Electronic Arts in 2011. PopCap's games have been downloaded over 1.5 billion times by consumers worldwide, and our flagship franchises, Bejeweled and Plants vs. Zombies, have sold more than 80 million units collectively.
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.