This is an engineering position on IBM's Corporate Environmental Affairs staff, reporting to Manager, Environmental Engineering. You will gain a thorough familiarity with IBM's global Environmental Management System (EMS) and will perform a full range of responsibilities associated with environmental remediation including:
- Implementing environmental remediation programs at properties formerly owned by IBM and Superfund sites where IBM has involvement. Responsible for executing all aspects of program requirements including technical, regulatory and IBM’s.
- Representing IBM with a variety of external entities. Clearly communicate on IBM’s behalf with federal, state and local government agencies, corporate and private enterprises, property owners, neighbors and surrounding communities.
- Setting up and delivering on soil and groundwater remedial projects and programs, including project scoping, resourcing, planning, project management, and the implementation of effective and efficient remedial systems. Preparing applications for and securing regulatory permits and authorizations required for the construction and/or operation of remediation projects. Implement all requirements prescribed in permits and authorizations.
- Achieving and maintaining compliance with all regulatory and IBM requirements.
- Directing suppliers in designing, scheduling, constructing, operating and maintaining effective and efficient environmental remediation systems.
- Budgeting and managing expenses within prescribed limits. Preparing financial estimates for long term remedial projects and coordinating these activities with accounting, finance, and other IBM organizations as needed.
- Communicating and coordinating with relevant IBM organizations as needed to plan and implement remedial projects.
- Teaming with IBM’s internal legal function to address a variety of topics including; contractual environmental matters, various regulatory topics, liability determinations, environmental assessments, etc.
- Monitoring emerging environmental issues and remediation technologies.
- Executing or directing environmental due diligence in support of a full range of business transactions.
- Developing requirements for IBM’s global EMS and guidance for implementation. Maintain compliance with the EMS.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Field of study: Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Environmental Engineering
- At least 5 years experience in environmental remediation program management
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate a broad array of complex regulatory and technical subjects, both orally and in writing, to a diverse audience including peers, managers and executives as well as external entities
- Demonstrated strategic thinking ability and leadership potential
- Working knowledge of both Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Corrective Action requirements, and Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Readiness to travel 25% annually
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Masters Degree in Civil, Chemical or Environmental Engineering plus ten (10) or more years of environmental remediation experience
- Demonstrated capability to simultaneously manage multiple medium to large projects.
- Emphasis on environmental remediation program management and implementation experience with the U.S. Clean Water Act, RCRA, CERCLA and Brownfield remediation projects.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
IBM is a leading cloud platform and cognitive solutions company. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 employees serving clients in 170 countries. With Watson, the AI platform for business, powered by data, we [...]