We’re dog people. Crazy dog people. BARK launched in 2012 with BarkBox, our monthly themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we’ve shipped more than 50 million of our favorite things to dogs in our pack, and we listen to our customers to help us continue to create better and better products. Each month, we make a commitment to our customers to deliver a high quality and entertaining experience, so our priority is to continue to innovate on this each month with more insightful products and deeper stories.
We are looking for a Director of Toy Design who can lead a team of product designers to translate insights and feedback into functional, playful and beautifully designed products for our customers and continue to push the envelope on building products that dogs and their people love.
- Work closely with internal teams to define project and product specifications and take them from concept through manufacturing
- Participate in and lead brainstorms to conceptualize monthly themes and storylines
- Present and communicate concepts to merchandising, creative, content, and marketing leads
- Build a team of in-house and freelance designers to round out our product development capabilities
- Manage internal and external prototyping capabilities
- We are all about a play experience, and for us, that means treats and snacks too! Push the boundaries on the categories we include in the BarkBox and continue to test new concepts
- Dream up new products to make our everyday lives with dog’s better – communicate these ideas through concept sketches, 3D models and prototypes
- Remove barriers so that your team can act decisively and with a strong sense of urgency to achieve business objectives more quickly and effectively
- Collaborate with our business development team on product partnership opportunities
- 8+ years of industrial design experience
- Proven track record of building a team and network of freelancers
- Strong communication skills and sketching capabilities - ability to convey your ideas through conceptual drawings
- An innovative frame of mind to look at this opportunity with a fresh perspective. You have a passion for innovative and disruptive ideas that create the future of toys and play
- Understanding of materials and manufacturing processes
- Passion for and knowledge of current trends in toys, lifestyle, etc.
- Understand the lifestyle of being a dog parent; the challenges, the opportunities, the unconditional joy
- 3D modeling/CAD experience is a plus
- MUST. LOVE. DOGS!
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in Manhattan, New York. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
We are obsessed with making dogs, and the people who love them, happy. If this requires giving belly scratches until we get carpal tunnel or listening to squeaky toys until our ears bleed, that’s cool. We are the pups and people behind: • BarkBox, the monthly box of toys and [...]