DevOps Engineer I/II
DevOps Engineer I/II
HealthSparq is hiring DevOps/Site Reliability Engineers to join our SaaS software company in Portland, Oregon. At HealthSparq, we are 100% cloud, relying on AWS and GCP plus internal platform services. You will be a member of a growing team focused on building, measuring, and improving the systems that run our white-label healthcare search products. To do so, you will use your recent experience designing and building “infrastructure as code” and CI/CD tools. You’ll be tasked with enabling our development teams to take on full life-cycle ownership of their code. You will collaborate across teams to solve complex problems and implement robust solutions. You must be collaborative, enthusiastic, data-driven, self-directed and most importantly, you should care deeply about connecting patients to the best healthcare information available.
Responsibilities & Requirements
In this role you will:
- Implement “infrastructure As Code” (IAC), defining cloud infrastructure in reusable, composable building blocks using tools like Terraform.
- Analyze, tune, and manage high-volume persistent storage systems.
- Measure and improve the performance, uptime, cost, stability and other operational characteristics of our cloud-based systems using tools like New Relic and Datadog.
- Collaborate, educate and work across teams to simplify and scale the tasks involved in building and shipping software through improved tooling, automation, and communication using tools like Docker and Jenkins
- Write playbooks and rehearse scenarios to ensure we have an efficient incident response to support our uptime commitments to our customers
- Participate in the on-call rotation as second-tier support, ready to jump into a verified emergency, organize the restoration of service, and then identify the remedial actions needed and drive them to conclusion.
You might be a good fit for the team if:
- You are effective working across engineering specialties and service team boundaries
- You enjoy mentoring and sharing knowledge, practices, and technology
- You're collaborative and encourage a range of ideas to solve problems. You prefer working in a team setting and learning from those around you
- You can demonstrate knowledge and experience with persistent storage best practices, query performance tuning, and maintenance - specifically one or more AWS RDS, GCP Bigtable, Elasticsearch, SOLR, Oracle and/or PostgreSQL.
- You have built, deployed, and hosted applications in a major cloud provider such as AWS, GCP, or Azure, and understand the underlying technologies that make this possible, including DNS, Load Balancing, Content Distribution Networks, VPC and others
- You have used Terraform, Ansible, Saltstack or other Infrastructure as Code tools to provision and manage complex systems in a public cloud
- You have at least 3 years of professional experience writing production software in Python, Go, Java or another major programming language, and also are strong in scripting tools like Bash
- You are familiar with Git and understand the role that version control and effective, positive code review has in building great software
- You have a strong understanding of the software development life cycle, and often find yourself seeking and sharing ideas on how to make it better
What Would Be Nice:
- You have demonstrated success in building and debugging large-scale distributed systems
- You have experience building software that follows design patterns and have developed and evangelized patterns of your own
- You are data-driven and analytical in your approach to solving problems and are willing to admit when you don’t know something
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above:
- DevOps Engineers I would have bachelor’s degree in computer science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field and one year relevant experience in a multi-platform environment, including but not limited to application development, systems administration, scripting and performance monitoring; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- DevOps Engineers II would have bachelor’s degree in computer science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field and three to five years relevant experience in a multi-platform environment, including but not limited to application development, cloud computing, systems administration, scripting, performance monitoring; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- DevOps Engineers III would have bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field and seven years relevant experience in a multi-platform environment, including but not limited to application development, cloud compute architecture (including networking and security), CI/CD pipeline experience, systems administration, scripting, performance tuning; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- DevOps Engineers IV would have bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field and nine years relevant experience in a multi-platform environment, including but not limited to advanced application development, cloud compute/development architecture (including networking and security), CI/CD pipeline development, data architecture, systems administration, scripting, performance tuning; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
HealthSparq employees are part of the larger Cambia family of companies, which seeks to drive innovative health solutions. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check is required.
HealthSparq is all about helping people make smarter health care choices. How do we do it? By offering the most relevant, personalized and timely data possible and offering it to consumers when they need it. With over 70 health plan clients that reach over 72 million people, HealthSparq is uniquely positioned to help people make better sense of their health care.
Cambia Health Solutions is a nonprofit total health solutions company with community roots dating back to 1917. We advocate for transforming the health care system by making health care more affordable and accessible, increasing consumers’ engagement in their health care decisions, and offering a diverse range of products and services that promote the health and wellbeing of our members. Cambia's portfolio of companies spans health care information technology and software development; retail health care; health insurance plans that carry the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands; pharmacy benefit management; life, disability, dental, vision and other lines of protection; alternative solutions to health care access and free-standing health and wellness solutions.
Need help finding the right job?
Cambia Health Solutions, headquartered in Portland, Oregon, is dedicated to transforming health care. We put people at the heart of everything we do as we work to make the health care system better and more economically sustainable for people and their families. Our company reaches more than 70 [...]