Purpose of JobWe are currently seeking a talented Design Director for our Austin, TX (Design Studio) facility.
At USAA, Design Directors manage and inspire their team to craft experiences that help members and their families feel financially secure. Design Directors cultivate an open and collaborative design culture and lead by example. They apply innovative approaches to address business, member, and employee problems so their teams can create new solutions. They are masters of their craft — ensuring the conceptual integrity and quality of the designs created by their team is of the highest level for the entire solution.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level. In each of the past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For®, and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military Friendly® Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.
ABOUT USAA IT
Our most important qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 12 million members who rely on us every day.
We are over 5,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative team built on agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce Diversity Magazine.
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets our purpose:
- Expertly applies human-centered design approaches to frame problems and explore solutions that clearly define a vision of what a product or service experience is, what it does, and how it looks and works from the Member’s perspective.
- Leads a team to conceptualize, critique, execute, and validate experience frameworks and interaction design models. Directs creation of current and desired experience models, scenarios, storyboards, and flows.
- Leads a creative team of direct report design practitioners. Manages the team, makes hiring decisions, helps with individual career and skills development, training recommendations, etc.
- Builds, mentors and inspires design teams while effectively navigating complex enterprise organizations and processes. Defines and models the team culture, ensuring it aligns with the USAA mission and core values; enables an environment where the team can take pride in its work, be daring and push the envelope of design, and continually grow their skills.
- Runs a creative review processes to ensure coherency with design principles and guidelines keeping a hand in practical design through contribution and collaboration with the team.
- Expected to do work across the company to build a strong culture of design.
- Expert understanding of current and emerging user experience, user-centered design and design principles. Experience in building and maintaining relationships with partner groups across the company (CDO, legal, content, IT, innovation, marketing, channel, etc.).
- Bachelor's Degree or 4+ years of related Design experience.
- 8 or more years of progressive, hands-on digital and experience design related experience required.
- 3 or more years of direct design team lead or management experience required.
- Subject-matter-expert understanding of current and emerging experience design principles, and human-centered design methodologies, and demonstrated application of the knowledge, skills and abilities of experience design practitioners.
- Subject-matter-expert level of business acumen in leading cross-functional initiatives, partnering with business owners to improve the quality of the member's/user's experience, design industry practices and emerging trends in design.
- Link to Portfolio of UX/Design work demonstrating: The process involved in shaping the design or project; Experience with multiple contexts and devices (mobile, tablet, web/desktop, voice, wearable); Examples of gestural, voice, and hardware interfaces desirable; Direct experience with design/user research, interaction design, information architecture, visual design, and implementation; Design of complex systems at scale; Effective use of storytelling techniques as a tool for designing interactions.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Experience working effectively in a large enterprise
- Product design experience (not only marketing design experience)
- Inspiring, open minded, hard-working, collaborative, and passionate personality.
- Experience working in the Credit Card industry (or Real Estate industry)
- Deep understanding of design research, interaction and visual design disciplines and design standards.
- Experience working in a regulated environment and dealing with compliance requirements
- Experience working within a design language system and encouraging component reuse, maintainability, and consistency across teams and projects.
- A portfolio of beautiful design work (both execution and leadership).
- Experience creating omni-channel design solutions (browser, mobile, voice)
- Experience building Service Blueprints
USAA's most valuable resource is our 33,000 employees. We promote a culture of diversity and inclusion, encouraging varied perspectives and ideas.
Our team enjoys world-class benefits, pay and highly competitive reward opportunities, including comprehensive healthcare, wellness and wealth building programs, employee resource groups, 401K matching dollar-for-dollar up to 8% of pay, career planning, continuing education, and parental leave. We promote a strong work-life balance with a variety of on-site services and conveniences depending on location, including a daycare, health center and pharmacy, multiple dining options, company stores, covered parking and free fitness centers. USAA is a casual dress environment.
***Selected candidates will attend and complete the Management Development School program in San Antonio, TX, during their first six months in position.***
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidatesto apply to the opening is 06/11/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.
At USAA, you’ll find a welcoming environment where everyone has a true passion for our mission. Our employees are immersed in a culture that profoundly embraces the service and sacrifices made by those we serve – the U.S. military and their families.