Associate General Counsel I or II
Associate General Counsel I or II (depending on experience)
Portland OR Seattle
This AGC position is the primary legal counsel that supports Cambia’s Sales and Underwriting teams in the sale and maintenance of various health insurance products in Oregon, Washington, Utah and Idaho. Day-to-day responsibilities for this AGC include: negotiating agreements with self-funded plans, assisting internal clients in navigating federal and state healthcare regulations and working with other attorneys on our team to implement company objectives and strategy.
At Cambia, our values are fundamental to achieving our Cause of transforming the health care industry. They guide our actions and bring diverse perspectives together to improve the health care journey better for those we serve. All eight values are equally important and linked to the others: Empathy, Hope, Courage, Trust, Commitment, Innovation, and Accountability. These values are not just words on paper - we live them every day.
Responsibilities & Requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge of general corporate and health insurance law, including HIPAA, ERISA, the ACA. and Mental Health Parity laws.
- Demonstrated knowledge of state and federal corporate and insurance regulations and compliance standards.
- An understanding of laws applying to both fully insured and self-funded plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with all levels of employees, including management, staff and internal clients, in any area of the company and within Legal.
- Demonstrated ability to provide thorough analysis on legal issues, meet deadlines, and follow through on assignments.
- Demonstrated competency to organize and manage large volumes of information and priorities.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above:
- Associate General Counsel I must be a graduate of an accredited law school, have a license in good standing to practice law in the state where the position is based or the ability to become licensed in a reasonable period of time. At least two years’ experience as an attorney in corporate, government or law firm or equivalent experience which may be satisfied by excellent academic credentials and/or other experience/knowledge that demonstrates required skill set.
- In addition, Associate General Counsel II must have at least three years’ experience as an Associate General Counsel I with a high-level performance rating or five years as an attorney in corporate, government or law firm or equivalent experience which may be satisfied by excellent academic credentials and/or other experience/knowledge that demonstrated required skill set. Must be self-motivated, organized, and able to work independently or with others.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registration, Etc.:
- Juris Doctor; highest academic credentials; admission and in good standing with United States (state) bar.
General Functions and Outcomes:
- Advises officers and employees, including those at distant sites, on general corporate legal matters.
- Negotiates agreements and provides legal advice on company involvement with employer-sponsored and other health plans, including both fully insured and self-funded plans.
- Advises internal clients on navigating applicable state and federal laws and regulations concerning health care and health insurance law including HIPAA, ERISA, the ACA, and federal mental health parity.
- Collaborates with and advises internal clients on permissible alternatives for realization of and clearing barriers to company-defined goals and direction.
- Advises internal clients on relative levels of risk entailed in alternative courses of action that are under consideration and offers additional alternatives where needed and available.
- Manages conflict between and among Legal and other areas.
- Responds to requests from various divisions of the corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates
- dealing with corporate legal matters.
- Ensures that legal documents and contracts are legally sufficient, complete, well written, and understandable
- Assures that the corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates are adequately represented for legal issues including business policies, contracts and against actual and threatened litigation
- Reviews and/or drafts new or modified health care policies, contracts, and other documents.
- Makes compromise settlement decisions within authority limits set by the General Counsel or Chief Legal Officer.
- Develops and maintains professional competence.
- Fulfills responsibilities through effective use of available technologies
Additional General Functions & Outcomes for Associate General Counsel II:
- Provides mentoring of Associate General Counsels to improve and hone their skills and ensure that their performance is of the highest quality.
- Selects outside counsel to represent on various matters and may manage outside counsel as well as the legal issue.
- Performs other legal, administrative or management functions as directed by senior leaders in the department, including Deputy General Counsel or Chief Legal Officer.
- Some travel required.
At Cambia, we advocate for transforming the health care system. You aren’t satisfied with the status quo and neither are we. We're looking for individuals who are as passionate as we are about transforming the way people experience health care. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A drug screen and background check is required.
Cambia’s portfolio of companies spans health care information technology and software development; retail health care; health insurance plans that carry the Blue Cross and Blue Shield brands; pharmacy benefit management; life, disability, dental, vision and other lines of protection; alternative solutions to health care access; and free-standing health and wellness solutions.
We have over a century of experience in developing and providing health solutions to serve our members. We had our beginnings in the logging communities of the Pacific Northwest as innovators in helping workers afford health care. That pioneering spirit has kept us at the forefront as we build new avenues to improve access to and quality of health care for the future.
Need help finding the right job?
Cambia Health Solutions, headquartered in Portland, Oregon, is dedicated to transforming health care. We put people at the heart of everything we do as we work to make the health care system better and more economically sustainable for people and their families. Our company reaches more than 70 [...]