This is an exciting opportunity to come join our team as our first full-time in-house lawyer! As the first Associate General Counsel of Splash, you will have a unique opportunity to formulate, build, and take ownership of our legal strategy and practices. You will be a strategic advisor and partner to the leadership team and the entire business at a dynamic and rapidly growing startup. This role has significant growth opportunity, and your personality and drive will help shape the company overall.
About the Team and Position:
You will help establish our legal department, contributing in a new role with significant responsibility right off the bat. You will prepare, analyze, record and counsel the business on a wide range of commercial agreements and matters, including master service agreements, statements of work, vendor agreements, technology licensing agreements, and the like, in addition to providing legal support related to marketing, employment, regulatory matters, as well as management and collaboration of outside counsel.
You will also devise, implement, and manage processes and procedures that will assist the company in growing, managing risk, and remaining compliant. Expect to be involved in the company as a whole, not just on legal matters. For example, you may be consulted and contribute on subjects like customer business risk, profile, and suitability. The position is a demanding and rewarding one where you will be expected to be an all hands on deck type.
- Lead Splash’s internal legal function, providing expert and strategic legal guidance on matters impacting the company.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and edit agreements with clients, vendors, and other parties. Lead and participate in related activities; establish, document, monitor and enforce processes and procedures for the orderly and scalable performance of this function in the future.
- Lead and assist with the organization and recording of information within legal documents into systems that will improve operations. Establish, document, monitor, perform, and enforce policies and procedures to assure the accessibility and accuracy of legal documents, information and reports that help guide business decisions and build our data assets.
- Serve as a project leader & advisor for GDPR / privacy / and related initiatives and new relevant legal topics that touch the business. Track legal developments within our industry and collaborate with operating teams to effectively manage them.
- Manage our relationship with outside counsel, selecting and consulting as appropriate, negotiating expected hours and rates, reviewing and negotiating billings, and overseeing the related projects.
- Represent the company with external stakeholders, including regulators, partners, investors, and service providers.
- Advise on corporate structures and related matters as the business expands, including potentially to other legal jurisdictions, both domestic and abroad.
- Advise on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, equity/debt raises, company policies and procedures, IP, and business strategy.
- Assist with general commercial, risk management, operations, compliance, finance, HR matters, and special projects as needed.
- J.D. degree and license to practice law in the state of New York
- 2-6 years of relevant legal experience (in-house or firm)
- Strong academic credentials
- Contract and negotiation experience with software and technology sales transactions, business development, professional services, and procurement.
- Experience with U.S. and E.U. privacy, data security, and compliance a major plus.
- Understanding of corporate governance as well as corporate and securities law.
- Able to understand, interpret and explain contractual terms and conditions and legal principles to business people and customers and directly negotiate with suppliers and customers.
- Be detail oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills.
If you’re interested in joining our fun, ambitious, and hard working team, please send your resume. Splash is an equal opportunity employer.
Splash is a technology company that powers advanced in-person marketing programs for the world’s leading brands. More than half of the Fortune 500 use Splash to streamline event marketing execution and optimize performance. From simplifying event asset creation to capturing attendee insights and [...]