IBM Global Business Services (GBS) is a team of business, strategy and technology consultants enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions and providing unparalleled client and consumer experiences in cognitive, data analytics, cloud technology and mobile app development. With global reach, outcome-focused methodologies and deep industry expertise, IBM GBS empowers clients to digitally reinvent their business and get the competitive edge in the cognitive era in over 170 countries.
Bottom line? We outthink ordinary. Discover what you can do at IBM.
As an Application Development Specialist Intern you will work with a team to apply your application development and project management skills, helping to design, build, test, and support leading edge applications to meet project requirements. Work as an Application Developer Intern might include; application development based on technical specs, data research and analysis, process documentation, or administration of engagement activities (e.g., performing data analysis, creation of reports) in support of a project. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated, success driven, and looking to make a difference in the world. They will possess skills in the disciplines of Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems Decision Sciences, Information Systems, Math and other related faculties, particularly software development or application management and development. This is a student internship position and candidates must be a registered full time student to apply.
Example tasks/ projects interns may be assigned:
• Prototype new functionality lead by development team member mentor
• Design test scenarios for new features that require complex tests
• Develop new infrastructure (web tools, build tools, test bed, etc) to benefit development team
• Implement features to address specific issues (cloud, security, performance, poor design, re-factoring)
The IBM Client Innovation Center is an in-bound delivery model where we support our clients from our Baton Rouge center. However, some travel is expected and all candidates must be willing and able to travel to meet our client needs across the US. Travel is typically related to knowledge transfer and training at the client site (Monday thru Friday). You are expected to travel approximately 50% of the time. This is a traditional office position. You must live in, or be willing to relocate to, LOUISIANA. The work location is 100 North Street Baton Rouge, LA 70802. This is not a work from home position.
Health Insurance. Paid time off. Corporate Holidays. Sick leave. Family planning. Financial Guidance. Competitive 401K. Training and Learning. We continue to expand our benefits and programs, offering some of the best support, guidance and coverage for a diverse employee population.
Our goal is to be essential to the world, which starts with our people. Company wide we kicked off an internal talent strategy program called Go Organic. At our core, we are committed to believing and investing in our workforce through:
- Skill development: helping our employees grow their foundational skills
- Finding the dream job at IBM: navigating our company with the potential for many careers by channeling an employee’s strengths and career aspirations
- Diversity of people: Diversity of thought driving collective innovation
In 2015, Go Organic filled approximately 50% of our open positions with internal talent that were promoted into the role.
With an employee population of 375,000 in over 170 countries, amazingly we connect, collaborate, and care. IBMers drive a corporate culture of shared responsibility. We love grand challenges and everyday improvements for our company and for the world. We care about each other, our clients, and the communities we live, work, and play in!
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for these positions now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- High School Diploma/GED
- Basic knowledge- Currently enrolled as a Junior or Senior in a Technical Bachelor's Degree Program with a focus on programming. (Ex. CS, ISDS, IT, CIS)
- Basic knowledge and completed coursework related to programming languages, methodologies, and Object Oriented programming (Ex. Java, J2EE, Python, C++, etc)
- Basic knowledge and completed coursework related to: use of development tools (Ex. IDE’s, debuggers, code repositories); OR SAP, ABAP, Finance, Supply Chain, Master Data, S4HANA
- Estimated graduation date in 2020 or earlier
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- Previous completed project work or internship with a focus in an Object Oriented Programming language.
- Supply Chain
- Master Data
- S4HANA Certification in Any Module ( FI, SD, MM)
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
IBM is a leading cloud platform and cognitive solutions company. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 employees serving clients in 170 countries. With Watson, the AI platform for business, powered by data, we [...]