“Sharpen the saw”, the last chapter from Stephen R. Covey’s book, ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People’, best describes the need for individuals to sharpen their skills to achieve higher levels of professional growth. And if you have long felt the need to boost your career by adding industry-valued certifications to your profile, here is your chance to know more.
We’ve compiled a list of the top 5 high paying professional certifications in 2017 which will help you decide which one you could opt for.
1) Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Certification:
Median salary in the US: $120,000
Job openings: 1,200
Why do you need it: As Cloud computing becomes more of a necessity rather than an option, it also brings around the basic standards of how enterprises are run and that makes knowledge of ITIL essential for everyone involved. The ITIL certification course is a set of practices that focuses on aligning IT services with the needs of the business. This course provides a structure to manage and deliver services and provides real-time experience.
Eligibility requirements: The foundation course does not have any skillset requirement; however, there are different requirements for the advanced ITIL levels (Intermediate, Expert and Master).
The certification has four levels:
a) ITIL Foundation – This course offers a basic understanding of the fundamentals of ITIL.
b) ITIL Intermediate – This course details the five primary ITIL framework phases. The eligibility criteria for this course include:
- 2 credit points from the ITIL Foundation certification examination.
- 30 contact hours of instruction for the syllabus from an accredited training organization.
- 2 years of work experience in ITSM is also highly recommended.
c) ITIL Expert – This course gives a detailed knowledge of the ITIL structure. The eligibility criteria are:
- You should have 22 credit points towards becoming an ITIL Expert. The 22 credit points would be broken down into: 2 credits from ITIL Foundation; 15 credit points from ITIL Intermediate levels, 6 credit points from complementary certifications and 5 credits from ITIL MALC.
- Also, a basic knowledge across the ITIL Service Lifecycle is required.
d) ITIL Master – The purpose of this course ensures that the certified person can understand the ITIL phases and implement them into a real-world framework. The eligibility criteria are:
- You need to be an ITIL expert.
- You must have 5 years of work experience in IT service management, in managerial, leadership or senior managerial advisory level roles.
- You must also have proof that you have been involved in implementing ITIL practices in your assignments.
How do you get certified: Register for the different ITIL Certification courses.
2) Big Data Certification:
Median salary in the US: $100,000
Job openings: 40,000
Why you need it: Big Data awareness and a career as a Big data expert or data scientist are on top of the list of prospective future roles that are lucrative and still shaping up. A certification in this space would increase your credibility and make you eligible for large opportunities in the technology space.
Eligibility requirements: Graduate professionals with knowledge on programming
This course certifies your end-to-end understanding of analytics process, whether it is framing the problems, acquiring the data, methodology, model building, deployment, or model lifecycle management.
How do you get certified: Go through the various Big Data and Analytics courses.
3) Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification:
Median salary in the US: $110,000
Job openings: 1,800
Why you need it: Whether you are a management professional or a technical expert – the roles of the future would require you to be adept with multiple skills to give your best to your organization. PMP is the go-to certification for project management. Whether its basic PMO certification or proper project management certification like PMP or Agile focused certification like PMI-ACP – these would add value to your management experience. PMP Certification holders can work on any industry, environment, and location.
- Higher Secondary Degree/Diploma
- 7,500 hours of leading and directing projects
- 35 hours of PM education
How do you get certified: Consider registering for any of the PMP courses available.
4) Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC):
Median salary in the US: $130,000
Job openings: 800
Why you need it: Cybersecurity and related threats are a concern not only to big firms but also to every line of business in the online space. This certification is specifically meant for information technology professionals with experience in managing IT risks. Risk management deals with planning and mitigating such enterprise level challenges, this certification adds value to all the security skills that one has or is exposed to.
Eligibility Requirements: 3 years of work experience in at least 3 CRISC domains
How do you get certified: Check out the available CRISC Certification courses.
5) Certification in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)
Median salary in the US: $120,000
Job openings: 200
Why you need it: Often regarded as one of the most lucrative certification courses, it recognizes a wide range of professionals for their knowledge along with their application of enterprise IT governance principles and practices. CGEIT covers governance of IT enterprise, strategic management of IT and the business, realization of benefits and optimization of risk and resources. This course is especially useful for professionals who play a significant role in managing, advising and assuring IT governance.
- You must pass the CGEIT eligibility test by answering 150 multiple choice questions in less than 4 hours.
- You must adhere to the ISACA Code of Professional Ethics.
- You also need to agree to comply with the CGEIT Continuing Education Policy.
- And finally you need to provide evidence of appropriate IT governance work experience, as defined by the CGEIT Job Practice
How do you get certified: Register today for a CGEIT Certification course.
With all the above information at your disposal, it’s time to quickly pick what’s relevant to you and get going on a growth path, with all the required ammunition… get yourself certified!